Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T vs G&L L2K

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T vs G&L L2K

Postby ampig » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:58 am

I just mated these two. The growl and cut are great but it's a little harsh at times. Any eq'ing tips on getting a warmer rounder tone (like a preamp in my signal chain)?
Note - This is a duplicate of a post I made in the "Amplification" forum
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Re: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12T vs G&L L2K

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 am

You're after more roundness than switching to the neck pup and cutting the highs would give you?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 am

It's not as trebly that way but still not warm
Howard

ampig

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 am

L series basses can get a bit harsh when preamps get overdriven. The onboard preamp can handle most of what the bass can do unless you're really digging in hard, then it might clip a tiny bit. If the instrument is from the early 2000's or so it's likely that the pickups were a bit over-wound from Leo's spec, which exacerbates the issue. If you like the tone of the bass with its volume control dimed, you might consider backing off at the Shuttle and/or switching in an input pad. For warmer and rounder you might back off the bass's volume control to about 75%, perhaps even the bass & treble, and see where it leads. Even in passive mode.

As to the over-wound pickups... This was something that was done during the tenure of a previous plant manager who is now gone. When Paul discovered it, he had them get back to spec. This only affected L series pickups, as the M series wasn't even in development when the over-winding was discovered.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Freddels » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 am

I could never get the tone out of the Shuttle 6.0 that I wanted. I ended up getting rid of it. The 6.2 and 9.2 have different EQ points and much more in the low end.

Flats may be the only way to tame the highs on that.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:27 am

This is why the newer L2K's don't work for me.

If you have to use flats to fight the treble, you lose much versatility.

What's the point?

Can anyone tell me what year the humbuckers got so bright?
MickeyOne

Postby Freddels » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:34 am

MickeyOne wrote:This is why the newer L2K's don't work for me.

If you have to use flats to fight the treble, you lose much versatility.

What's the point?

Can anyone tell me what year the humbuckers got so bright?

Not flats to tame the L2K but more to tame the 6.0 in combination with the L2K. The 6.0 has a lot of high mids (to me anyway) and doesn't really have much in the lows and low mids. What Genz did with the 6.2 improved it greatly, IMHO.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ampig » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:57 pm

The L2K is a 2011 Anniversary model.
Those are interesting insights about both the Shuttle 6.0 and newer humbuckers
Howard

ampig

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Just rehearsed for the first time with a Shuttle 9.0 I traded for, to use as a backup head for my Yorkville Bassmaster 400.
Using my '81 L2K and the tone completely shut off, the treble and high mids at 10 O'clock, I still got a lot of brightness.
MickeyOne

Postby ampig » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:40 am

I've been trying to go bone simple with my rig setup but I guess I'll add preamp to the signal chain to warm things up.

I've had a one mid 80's and one mid 90's L2K that had that perfect tone when played "naked". Nice warmth but also plenty of punch and bite when needed................
Howard

ampig

Postby MickeyOne » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Did a worship gig with the shuttle 9.0 this morning using a P bass with MFD split coil, TI Flats and a 2x10 Markbass cab.
I needed to add a 12 for more bottom. This job calls for an upright sound and it sounded great.
MickeyOne

Postby Flash » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Let me preface this by saying I go for a bright sound but I have been using a Shuttle 6.0 and either an L2000 or an El Toro for about 3 years and it gives me the tone that I go for with minimal adjustment. However, there are a few things I noticed when I initially set it up. First of all, I dialed in the perfect low volume tone when I set it up at home by just boosting the bass and the mids a touch and the treble a hair more. But when I got to a show and turned it up, there wasn't enough bottom. At all. Turning on the L.F Boost button fixed it. I play through the old version of the Schroeder 1212 this way and it's been fine with most house cabinets that I've used. The exception being a Hartke 410 at one club that actually has too much low end with these settings and so when I play there I have to shut the LF Boost off.

That said, the Shuttle 6.0 is an excellent modern sounding amp but may not be the best choice for a really warm, vintage tone when paired with an L2K. The 6.2 sounds to me like it might be an improvement in the design and in the EQ. The only reason I haven't looked at it is I'm getting the tone that I want so I have no reason to mess with things.
Flash

Postby ampig » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:53 am

I guess I'll just need to Tweak some more. It does seem counterintuitive to have to add the LF bass boost to an L2000.
Howard

ampig

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:34 am

Traded shuttle for MarkBass Little tube 800 and I feel much more at home.
MickeyOne

Return to G&L