Anybody tried flats on an L2500?

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Anybody tried flats on an L2500?

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:00 am

Anybody tried flats on an L2500? Strange bedfellows, I know, but flats are really the tone and feel I like nowadays. I have this really nice L2500 that essentially has no place in my tonal palette right now...trying to think creatively.

If so...what was the B response like?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Re: Anybody tried flats on an L2500?

Postby Freddels » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 pm

I have TI Flats on an L2K and it sounds great to me. I would imagine the L2500 would sound the same.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Anybody tried flats on an L2500? Strange bedfellows, I know, but flats are really the tone and feel I like nowadays. I have this really nice L2500 that essentially has no place in my tonal palette right now...trying to think creatively.

If so...what was the B response like?

It's really just a matter of finding a set with a good B string. LaBellas are good though you have to custom order them if I remember correctly. I believe I used to order a single low B from them at Guitar Man and would just sell it with a 4 string set when people wanted 5 string flats.
Flash

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 am

The B string is really what worries me. I play mismatched sets on URB, so I guess playing with a round wound B and flats on the rest is an option. I may try a set of Chromes first, since they sound so good on my Hoyt.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Chromes are really great, I've had them on a couple of 5ers and liked them a lot on both.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Freddels » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:38 pm

I asked a few guys on TB that play TI Flats on fivers and they said the low B was very good. That was one of the things I always thought about b/c TI's to be are like obligatos and I wouldn't want a floppy B.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Return to G&L