Twins-Separated at Birth

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Twins-Separated at Birth

Postby MickeyOne » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:08 am

I've only had a few vintage G&L's including 2 long term. A 1980 L-1000 and an '81 L-2000e. Once bought a second hog/maple wunkay and was disappointed that it was nearly identical sounding to mine and I sold it quickly.

My L-2000 has some minor neck issues. The neck had a fret job and was refinished so when the opportunity came up to buy a nearly identical bass, of course I did, thinking I might swap necks. Mine spent it's whole life in Chicago and the 2nd one, was here in the AZ desert. It came to me a little neglected, with steel strings. I oiled the neck, tweaked the truss rod and strung it up with EB flats and WOW!

I cannot get over how different these two sound. I think they are both Alder/Ebony but my first is VERY loud and needs half-rounds to tame the overtones. The second one sounds like a jazz bass and the difference between series and parallel is very subtle-with mine it is OMG.

Also, someone added a switch to the plate and all it seems to do is mute the bass and only while in active mode? Any ideas? I may post more photos when I have a chance later in the week.
Attachments
photo.JPG
MickeyOne

Re: Twins-Separated at Birth

Postby doudoubass » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:54 am

The difference between your two L2000e might be the body wood.
You have to look at the neck pocket to know what kind of wood they are.

My late '81 L1000 has a black body and bridge and is made of 4 pieces of western softmaple.
She sounds a lot like an alder body, not as bright as my ash L2000 tribute, and not as low as my early '81 Hog L2000e.
She can simulate very well a standard pbass sound.

Your new L2000e seems to have a weird wiring... the series setting has to be louder than parallel. Perhaps the previous owner has pull off the 0.1uF OMG caps?
doudoubass

Re: Twins-Separated at Birth

Postby MickeyOne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:30 am

I will post photos of the neck pocket, as I cannot tell the difference.

I did solve the mystery of the 4th switch. It's practical. When engaged, it does not allow active mode and will not use the battery, even if you leave it plugged in.
MickeyOne

Return to G&L