Relatively Rarebird

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Relatively Rarebird

Postby GGJaguar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

I finally found a 1990 L-1000 for the G&L book. This one is from early 1990 and has a maple body (sorry for the crappy pic). Wunkays from 1987-91 are soooo hard to find. I found two in Japan like this one, but the dealers wouldn't sell overseas. The others I've seen (solid colors and natural) were at guitar shows in the mid-1990s. Had I known how hard it was going to be to find one, I never would have passed them up back in the day. This one sounds a little more strident than my mid-80s L1Ks, but that could be an artifact of the new roundwound nickle-plated strings. I'll bet they'll mellow out in few days. OMG mode is more punchy and not as bassy as I expected which is interesting/different (a good thing in my book). It's also lightweight at 8.9 lbs/4.0 kg. Now to find the elusive '87, '89 and '91... [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

GGJaguar
Bouncer

Re: Relatively Rarebird

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Very nice burst Greg. I've had two solid maple G&L basses over the years and they were both heavy, I'd say you lucked out.

I sold this white L-1000 years ago, B021984. My records have it down as a 1991.

bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Chuck B » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 am

I do remeber this white beauty, Brad. You did offer it right after the bel air green LB 100 landed in Germany and my GAS fund went zero.
Chuck B

Postby GGJaguar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:04 am

Brad, would you happen to have a photo of what's under the control plate on that bass?

GG
GGJaguar
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:26 am

Great memory Chuck! I still remember that belair green LB-100, it had the fattest maple neck I'd ever felt on a G&L.

Sorry Greg, I do have a pic of the back but no pics with the control cover off. I sold it to a guy that goes by "fenderjazz" on the GbL site and it's still listed in his profile so maybe he can help you. I tried his listed email address and it bounced back as no longer functional. Does the GbL site have a PM function?

I have a really amazing 2009 L-1000 in blackburst/ash/rosewood if you'd be interested in that. One of the few at the end made with ash instead of alder and the neck is chunky!
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Sorry Greg, I do have a pic of the back but no pics with the control cover off. I sold it to a guy that goes by "fenderjazz" on the GbL site and it's still listed in his profile so maybe he can help you. I tried his listed email address and it bounced back as no longer functional. Does the GbL site have a PM function?

There is PM functionality at The KCC; it's a phpBB board like here. No one by that handle at BbL.

Email headed your way with a possible email address.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Return to G&L