String Question - DR Coated Strings w/L2000

Leo's "Final Frontier"

String Question - DR Coated Strings w/L2000

Postby Flash » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm

So here's a question which may have come up before on here somewhere. I was thinking about putting a set of white DR Neon Strings on my BABP L2000 thinking it would look cool but I seem to remember there might be a grounding issue with them. My bass is well shielded (I added shielding to the back of the control cavity to quiet it down) but it still hums a little if I'm not touching the strings and I'm in a poorly grounded building that is all too common in NYC. I seem to recall that DR coated strings will not ground the bass when you're touching them since you're touching a coating and not metal (Elixirs are definitely like this). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case? I've had flats on this bass for a while but they're no longer working for me and I need to go back to roundwounds. If the neons won't work I'll just get a set of Hi Beams and call it a day.
Flash

Re: String Question - DR Coated Strings w/L2000

Postby harleyyy » Thu May 23, 2013 11:09 pm

I have a set of Black Beauties on my El Toro, but haven't noticed any extra noise Matt. My only issue with them is burning my finger tips from sliding fast on them.
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby Flash » Sat May 25, 2013 11:09 pm

harleyyy wrote:I have a set of Black Beauties on my El Toro, but haven't noticed any extra noise Matt. My only issue with them is burning my finger tips from sliding fast on them.

Burning... that might be a problem. I think I'm going to just go back to Hi Beams like I use on my El Toro and used to have on the L2000. I found an article by Roger Sadowsky regarding coated strings here:

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/display_ ... id=1115676

According to this DR coated strings are non-conductive which pretty much means if I'm in a poorly grounded or electrically noise room (of which NYC has plenty), I'm pretty much screwed with the Neons. So that's that.
Flash

Postby hmagman » Sun May 26, 2013 7:32 am

Flash wrote:
harleyyy wrote:I have a set of Black Beauties on my El Toro, but haven't noticed any extra noise Matt. My only issue with them is burning my finger tips from sliding fast on them.

Burning... that might be a problem. I think I'm going to just go back to Hi Beams like I use on my El Toro and used to have on the L2000. I found an article by Roger Sadowsky regarding coated strings here:

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/display_ ... id=1115676

According to this DR coated strings are non-conductive which pretty much means if I'm in a poorly grounded or electrically noise room (of which NYC has plenty), I'm pretty much screwed with the Neons. So that's that.

Thanks, great information... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Gil Escalera » Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Nice thread gentlemen. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

I've been going over this with my buddy who has been fighting this issue. He has a Tobias Classic 6 (pre-Gibson, actually built by Michael Tobias himself) with Nordstrand Dual Coil pickups, an East-UK 5 knob U-Retro preamp and DR Black Beauty strings. I gave it the once over to verify that all the shielding and grounding was correct and basically told him the problem was the coated strings. I forwarded him the Roger Sadowsky article above. ;)

Thanks Steve!

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 pm

I have several of my basses string with DR Neons, one of them a black G&L Tribute L2500 (neon green). I have not noticed any problems with noise on this bass, or any of the others, but that's just my experience.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Flash » Tue May 28, 2013 2:40 pm

jshilgebass wrote:I have not noticed any problems with noise on this bass, or any of the others, but that's just my experience.

Joe Hilgeman

The amount of noise kind of depends on where you live, how well the building you're in is grounded and how much RF is floating around. In general older, densely populated cities like NYC will cause instruments to hum much more readily than newer more speard out areas. If an instrument in going to be noisy, it will be in NYC for sure.
Flash

Postby jshilgebass » Tue May 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Flash wrote:
jshilgebass wrote:I have not noticed any problems with noise on this bass, or any of the others, but that's just my experience.

Joe Hilgeman

The amount of noise kind of depends on where you live, how well the building you're in is grounded and how much RF is floating around. In general older, densely populated cities like NYC will cause instruments to hum much more readily than newer more speard out areas. If an instrument in going to be noisy, it will be in NYC for sure.

I totally agree with you on this. If I have had any issues with noise out here in SoCal it has been in places that would answer to the description "downtown inner city dive bar". As a rule, I don't bring any of my passive single-coil basses to any of these types of gigs. I have used some of my basses with DR Neon strings in such places with no real problems...but they do tend to be basses with active electronics and good shielding.

One of my basses with the DR Neons (neon yellow) is a lucite-bodied 5-string jazz-type, wired passive with vol/blend/tone controls (converted from V/V/T by Carey Nordstrand's shop) and no-name single coil pickups. When playing it at home in my living room I notice some low-level buzz, but out in public places (mostly in church, believe it or not) the buzz is not noticeable during music playing (or not playing). I've got some Nordstrand NJ5S hum-cancelling pickups that I will soon install in this bass, so that might alleviate the buzz to a certain extent.

I have read the Sadowsky article, and I do believe the problems mentioned there are an issue. It just has not been a showstopper for me when playing any of my basses with coated strings, but again, this is just my experience.

P.S. My El Toro is going to need new strings, and like you I plan to put Hi-Beams on it.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Just thought of this. It sounds kind of silly and might look a little silly (to all but the electronics guys in the crowd), but it should work.

An antistatic wrist strap.

They're cheap and available in different colors. Put the strap on your right wrist and clip the other end to your bridge.

:hid:

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby ampig » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:58 am

Maybe an aluminum foil bodysuit?
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Return to G&L