1983 L2000 Neck help

Leo's "Final Frontier"

1983 L2000 Neck help

Postby Ariff » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 am

Hey there.. Long time G&L lover first time poster. I am looking into buying a 83 L2000E or so the seller seems to think it is a 83. I have been doing some research and from what G&L says when they changed the construction method of the necks, the stripe disappeared and the sculpted "bump" on the headstock was added. meaning all old style headstock necks should have a skunk stripe. However this 83 I am looking at has the old style headstock and no stripe. Is it possible G&L were using the newer construction method on some of the non-sculpted necks for a short time? It also has the black crinkle control plate and bridge as well as the chromed plastic style knobs with ribs. Still waiting on some more detailed photos and hopefully a serial number. It looks real nice but is missing the original case ;>( Just wanted to check in here before I drop a grand on it.. Thanks for any help..

Here are some pics..

Ariff

Re: 1983 L2000 Neck help

Postby GGJaguar » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Yes, you're exactly right. That's a transitional neck that was made for a short time (a few months in early 1983). It's bi-cut (no skunk stripe), but still has the old style headstock. Completely legit and factory original. I've only seen that transitional neck used on L-1000 and L-2000 basses.

GG
GGJaguar
Bouncer

Return to G&L