Oh man. What to do, what to do?

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Re: Oh man. What to do, what to do?

Postby Freddels » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:
Freddels wrote:
If you're used to playing tuned down, then why would you need another bass for pickup gigs? I would think it would be more confusing switching back and forth.

We tune down then play the songs in the original position. IOW, we tune down then forget we tuned down. If that makes sense.

I'd rather switch between basses that I'm comfortable with than deal with the change in action/intonation that tightening the strings on a bass causes. Just did a church gig this morn with my Scheff tuned "normal" and the strings felt like telephone poles. Would have been nice to have that Tribby.

The Tribby makes sense for me because I can get a good P, J, or even a decent 'Ray tone out of it. Desert island bass is there ever was one. IMO, of course.

Moot point, too, as the Tribby is mine. Bought and paid for. Going to pick it up this evening.

It doesn't make sense at all. An "A" is an "A" is an "A". It doesn't matter what fret position you play it on, it's still an "A". So, what I'm saying is that if you're used to playing an "A" on the E string (your Eb) string, then it that's where your muscle memory remember where that tone is.

But, now on to the reason you're tuning down a 1/2 step and then playing in the original keys . . . if you don't need that low Eb, then it does not make any sense at all.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:46 am

Freddels wrote:[

But, now on to the reason you're tuning down a 1/2 step and then playing in the original keys . . . if you don't need that low Eb, then it does not make any sense at all.

We don't play in the original keys, but in the original "position". So we end up playing most tunes a half step lower than original. Which means I have to have the open Eb handy. And the other strings open too for some signature stuff we cover to get the bass parts as close to possible as the original. I can usually play any song in any key at any time. Within reason.

Believe me, I'm not a fan. And if there was a better way I'd do it. Though I never tried the BEAD thing. But I do need the G quite a bit, so that prolly wouldn't work either.
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Well, HelloMusic is selling a new Tribby M2000 (natural) for $489. If you haven't tried one of the M series, you should. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Freddels wrote:Well, HelloMusic is selling a new Tribby M2000 (natural) for $489. If you haven't tried one of the M series, you should. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Well NOW you tell me! [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I'd like to try an M series. Have not seen any around here.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Freddels » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:
Freddels wrote:Well, HelloMusic is selling a new Tribby M2000 (natural) for $489. If you haven't tried one of the M series, you should. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Well NOW you tell me! [smilie=angry-smiley-005.gif] [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

I'd like to try an M series. Have not seen any around here.

I just got the email from them today. I wasn't sure about them b/c I like the old switch style, but then I tried one and I may like them even more than the L series. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Freddels

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Freddels wrote:
I just got the email from them today. I wasn't sure about them b/c I like the old switch style, but then I tried one and I may like them even more than the L series. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I didn't need to hear that! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Though I have heard nothing but positive thing about the M series.

I enjoy the tones out of the L series. Some find the controls too confusing and some don't like the preamp, but not me.

Oh yeah: I try to remember to get a pic or two up tomorrow. It's a really nice looking bass.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby jshilgebass » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 pm

One reason I play a lot of extended range bass (5/6-string) is to get around the problem of bands I played with tuning down a half step. I got used to going back and forth between 4/5/6-strings, 34/35 inch scale length, and narrow/wide string spacing...it took a little time, but now I can play just about any bass. I had a sweet Tribby L2K that was practically the twin of my USA '83 L2K (both black w/ rosewood 'boards). I gave the Tribby to one of my brothers so I could get back my USA L2K that I had on loan to him. He actually prefers the Tribby to the USA...go figure. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Can't wait to see pics, Bruce. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:19 am

Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Previous

Return to G&L