M2500 Impressions

Leo's "Final Frontier"

M2500 Impressions

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 am

A couple of guys asked me to post my impressions of the "new" 2012 G&L M2500 I got from Kebo a few weeks back, and I wanted to get some time with it before I did. Still haven't done a gig with it, but I've taken it to a couple of rehearsals and done quite a bit of woodshedding with it at home.

After having owned many G&L's, I have to say I think this is the best fiver I've had so far. There's not a lot of aesthetic difference from some of the other newer L-series basses, which is to say that the build quality is crazy good for the price point. The PLEK setup really makes a difference, in my opinion. I was able to crank the factory action down quite a bit lower than I actually like, with no buzz or other issues. My main five has been a Lull PJ5 for several years, and I kind of forgot how much extra reach is required to play a 35" scale bass. Problem is, I've always had trouble finding an acceptable B-string on a shorter scale, but this M2500 measures up to the Lull nicely. The whole instrument feels very solid and compact, and feels lighter than its Kebo-quoted 9.2 lbs...even with the extra battery for the 18v electronics.

As for those M-series electronics.... I'm well-known to be a big fan of the L-series tone, but after owning many of them, I have to admit that I never got a real handle on how to adjust my tone on the fly with them. I tended to dick around with one throughout a gig until I found the right spot, and then I just left it there. Next gig, I'd start all over again. The controls on this M2500 are a LOT more familiar and intuitive, and to my ears, do not sound substantially different from the L-series. I REALLY like the blend control vs the pickup selector, since I can get most of the tonal variation I might need from that and right hand position alone. Although I tend to leave eq flat and only boost or cut slightly to fine-tune, I can say that the freq range of the new M preamp seems very musical. You can do a lot of tone tweaking without ever getting into unusable territory.

At rehearsal with my current band, which features a piano player with a VERY active left hand (it's his band and his original music, so no, I can't ask him to lay off [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]), I'd had trouble with my Lull being a little too mild-mannered and not cutting through the dense freq spectrum. I needed a "bulldozer" (to quote Ed Friedland), and this M2500 certainly fits the bill. Seems it has the perfect blend of midrange response to cut through, yet not be too obtrusive in the mix....and that's with eq flat. Haven't had to use any freq boost yet, but I know it's there if needed. Very nice.

More to come after a couple of gigs....
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Re: M2500 Impressions

Postby ghiadub » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:16 am

Very cool Mike. Excellent write up.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:27 am

Thanks Mike for the review, I'm a real fan of the M2500/M2000 G&L's... couldn't agree with you more! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby hoytbasses » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 am

I think that if I ever decided to get a factory bass: G&L would probably be the only choice. I've taken in a couple in trade over the years and they were impeccably built. Leo was a freaking genius.

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Return to G&L