Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:07 pm

ImageImageImage
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Re: Take Two.

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:12 pm

The second one is very nice as well. I hope the neck behaves.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Behaving. Bought new locally. Test driven at the store. Sounds stupid good. Better than the last one especially in parallel.

Overall tone is more focused. Neck is waaayyyyy better!
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Bruce - congrats! Keep us posted.

bdgotoh wrote:The second one is very nice as well.

Huh?

I hope the neck behaves.

Why wouldn't it?

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Mr. Mom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Ken, I believe Brad was referring to my last L2k purchase/return.

I will say I feel better about returning the previous L2k. This neck, from the git-go, felt and feels so much better.

The bass still suffers from LSD (Low Saddle Disease) but not nearly to the extent as the last bass. And there's not buzzing. Well, there IS buzzing. But that's due to operator error. [smilie=fun_84.gif] Can't blame my lack of skills on this neck.

It's heavier than the last one. I'd say 9.5-ish lbs as opposed to the 9-ish pounds. But it's doable. Balances well which is key.

I was kind of in a funk about the last bass. Not only did I feel kinda stupid but there really are no G&L's around here. Or so I thought! I remembered a little Mom and Pop music store near downtown Columbus that carries G&L's. Called them up this morn and asked. They said they had one L2k. Went in. Tried it. Did a terrible job of haggling and paid too much (like always) but I'm a happy camper!

Now if you'll excuse me, I gots some bass to play!!
Last edited by Mr. Mom on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Bruce correctly interpreted my comment. I was hoping he would have a much better experience this time. As far as why wouldn't a G&L neck behave itself, there are plenty of examples out there where they haven't, I experienced it recently.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:31 pm

`

Maybe it's a keeper ... whatever Bruce's
idea of "keep" happens to be ....

Anywho, good luck and ENJOY !

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Ken, I believe Brad was referring to my last L2k purchase/return.

I see that now. I confuse easily.

The bass still suffers from LSD (Low Saddle Disease) but not nearly to the extent as the last bass.

Can you define low? About 1/8" between the bottom of the E saddle and the bridge plate is a normal starting point, with the rest adjusted roughly for fingerboard radius. As we discussed before, fear not the shim. LOTS of G&L need them.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby bigfatbass » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:10 am

I think by his scale, if he still owns it after the check clears it's a "keeper"

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
"Time Is the river, eternity is the ocean, music is the water.
Play what you hear, hear what you play.
Trust your ears, serve your soul." ~Philip Toshio Sudo "Zen Guitar"

Viva Los Blancos!
http://www.casablancos.com
bigfatbass
Road Dog

Links: http://www.casablancos.com

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:14 am

Now THAT'S a beautiful lookin' bass right there!
[smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 am

Ken Baker wrote:Can you define low? About 1/8" between the bottom of the E saddle and the bridge plate is a normal starting point, with the rest adjusted roughly for fingerboard radius. As we discussed before, fear not the shim. LOTS of G&L need them.

Ken...

Low on the G string ( [smilie=coz.gif] ). I'd say about a 1/16" gap below the saddle? Around there. is that considered normal? Definitely more room to go "up" rather than "down". Could just me and my personal preferences with the G&L neck/setup, too. And really not an issue (if I used the word "issue" before it was not the proper word). More of a observation as the other basses I've had recently do not have the saddles that low. The last bass was literally bottomed out and the action was still high AND buzzing.

I was messing around last night on the bass and it really does sound my-tee fine! Like I said, parallel is just killin' on this one. Parallel/Active is almost the same volume as series/passive. And in a band mix the slight treble boost of the active w/out treble boost might just make the two interchangeable. Will be able to tell after this weekend. Ken, I seem to like series in passive. IMO it cuts nice with that throaty sound that I like. Parallel/Active just screams jazz-on-steroids, again IMO.

Next stop is the K switching mod. But no hurry.

Happy Camper!! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:02 am

Oh....And don't think I don't hear you guys bashing my gear slutting. I'm standing right here! I can hear you!! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

And thanks for the positive comments. **SNIFF** I love you guys! **GROUP HUG**
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Next stop is the K switching mod

Does anyone know why this isn't the default nowadays? The K switching is a really great thing and they don't charge more for it, I wish it was normal. I bought a couple of new G&Ls recently and they weren't custom orders for me, neither has K switching but it does have other appearance upgrades that add cost.
It's a head-scratcher...
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:26 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Does anyone know why this isn't the default nowadays? The K switching is a really great thing and they don't charge more for it, I wish it was normal. I bought a couple of new G&Ls recently and they weren't custom orders for me, neither has K switching but it does have other appearance upgrades that add cost.
It's a head-scratcher...

I think, If I'm remembering correctly, that the folks at G&L were afraid that making the K switching standard would make L2000's even more confusing to people trying them out for the first time - you have 18 possible settings as is and the K switching brings it up to 27. That said, I love the K switching - both pickups/single coil/active is my default setting.
Flash

Postby hoytbasses » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:54 pm

pretty.... looks almost bookmatched.... nice. Blonde basses always bring a tear to my eye. The first bass I bought upon getting home from the Navy was a brand new 74 blonde Precision. Dumbass that I am, when I got married, I thought to myself: "well, now that I'm married, I won't be able to be in a band" and I sold it, and a ES335 clone that I had hot rodded.amps, PA......That lasted all of about a year before I was back in a band..............I kick myself almost every day over that one.

enjoy it! Hell.... keep it!

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Next

Return to G&L