It's Too Quiet In Here

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Re: It's Too Quiet In Here

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:55 am

Flash wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:This is just an awful picture, but this is my one and only G&L. I call it "TBBITW". (The Best Bass In The World.)

The only problem with that is this is the best bass in the world.

El Toro.jpg

Oh no you di'int!!

(Nice bass, BTW!!)
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby dBerriff » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:52 am

I am hoping to pick up an almost new L-2000 tomorrow evening. I sold off my G&Ls when I moved to 5 string. I deeply regret selling my JB-2.

Edit: I did not buy it. The truss rod, I think, had a rattle when D or D-flat was played. The bullet nut seemed to have tension on it but I was not prepared to pay out on a bass with possible "issues". So I remain G&L-less.

Anyway, circumstances change and I am enjoying playing 4-string basses again. I don't know how far I am going to take this. I have a soft spot for the underrated USA G&Ls and I think I need a Jazz next, but then again the simplicity of the LB-100 with G&L build quality is tempting. It is just a matter of finding a good one over here in the UK. Bass Direct had a sunburst which looked perfect, but I could not get down to try it before someone else bought it.
dBerriff

Links: http://rutlandbigband.org.uk

Postby dBerriff » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:51 am

Well, I bought a Tribute JB-2 and USA MJ-4. The Tribute is amazingly good for the money, so much so that the MJ-4 is hard to justify. But as no one seems to be reading this I don't have to.
dBerriff

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:41 am

Congrats on the new one.
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Post some pics when you can!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Rob Francis » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:50 pm

GonzoBass wrote:Congrats on the new one.
[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

Post some pics when you can!
Yeah but where's the pics?
Rob Francis

Postby dBerriff » Sun May 08, 2016 1:26 am

Wow, there is life here after all. USA MJ-4 and Tribute JB-2.

dBerriff

Postby ghiadub » Sun May 08, 2016 8:29 pm

Dig the blackbust/maple neck combo.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby AchimII » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:29 am

Not a new one, but...well

In 2002 I bought a new 2001 L2K with #6 neck in a local shop. I instantly falled in love with the playability of this bass.

In 2005 or so I realized that the trussrod had stuck. Long story short, me and my luthier tried to get it working, but he told me there's a high risk it would break. We tried anyways, and it broke.

I posted this here, and Brad (who else) offered me a replacement #8 neck that fits and since then did the job on the L2K. My luthier said, a repair of the #6 is possible, but expensive. I played Brad's #8 since then. I stored the #6 in the basement, wrapped in newspaper, and forget about it.

In 2017 (I haven't played for some years, but still kept all my stuff), I realized that my Marleaux Consat Custom 4 had dead pots. I contacted Gerald Marleaux who send me a new set of pots for the 25 years old lady and forwarded me to Lutz to solder them in. While checking his page, I came along this video:

[BBvideo 425,350]https://vimeo.com/198182324[/BBvideo]

He got a bunch of old wood, stored by an woodworking artist in the 60's, that was never used. I took the #6, asked to repair the Marleaux and put a new trussrod/fingerboard on the original #6. Now I have my 2001 L2k with a Palisander (rosewood) fingerboard from mid 60's [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif].

I got the neck back on friday, installed it yesterday, and now it settles down with strings. Don't ask for cost, there is no economic explanation to do this, but the #6's rounded profile just feels right for me. It's probably a sentimental thing to have it back as it was.

Thanks to Brad for the replacement, and to that Artist who never used the wood to carve stupid sculptures out of my future fretboard...
AchimII

Postby bdgotoh » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:21 am

Great to see you Achim! I prefer the #6 too, most of my G&Ls have that neck. We need to see a picture of your new neck.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Flash » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Great to see you Achim! I prefer the #6 too, most of my G&Ls have that neck. We need to see a picture of your new neck.

And on an unrelated note, Brad, it's been far too long. We need to talk and catch up. Shoot me an email when you can - matt.desilva@gmail.com.
Flash

Postby bdgotoh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Email sent Matt!
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Previous

Return to G&L