It's Too Quiet In Here

Leo's "Final Frontier"

It's Too Quiet In Here

Postby Flash » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Hello? Anyone? Someone must have a new G&L to show off.
Flash

Re: It's Too Quiet In Here

Postby GonzoBass » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:27 am

Didn't Mike just sell one?
[smilie=coz.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby jim.i » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:10 am

So here's my recent purchase new JB-2. Empress wood, slightly over 7 pounds, "old school tobacco burst", rosewood board, no dots. There is a slight neck "emphasis" due to the light body but i would hesitate to call it neck dive. It balances just fine on a strap or in my lap and i have played both ways for hours without ever thinking about balance. The build quality and playability are first-class and i would compare (and have) to any boutique builder instrument for what, half the price? A third the price?

I have always admired the JB-2 simple elegant appearance but must admit i was not a big fan of the typical [passive] J bass burpy sound, i missed the low end. So i figured at some point i might replace the stock pickups with something fuller sounding while still keeping the J bite and growl. But i ended up doing a simple wiring mod which has worked out great - 2 cuts and then 1 solder joint - wiring the factory pickups in series. The neck volume knob controls both pickups, the bridge volume knob is inactive, and the tone knob is unchanged. The other bonus for me is that i kept both volumes up full anyway so this mod also provided P style simplicity - single volume and single tone controls. It now has rich full low end with J bite and growl and simple controls, done with an easily reversible wiring mod.

I have heard that G&L has discontinued the JB-2; MJ-4 sales have apparently kicked the $%^t out of JB-2 sales. If this is true, i got one of the last ones, plus i only know of two empress JB-2's that were made, mine and a friend's.

6131-FRONT-1200.jpg
jim.i

Postby Flash » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm

J pickups wired in series like that sound great - closer to a P pickup to my ears. That's a great mod.

I hadn't heard that the JB2 was discontinued but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think it ever really sold that well and the JB (at least initially) blew it out of the water as far as sales go. I used to have one - I think I may have sold it to someone here but I can't remember who. It was a great playing bass but I was never really knocked out by the tone. Changed the pickups to Rio Grandes of some sort but they didn't make much difference. And then it finally dawned on me one day that I'm just not a Jazz bass guy - I get why they're so popular but it's not my tone. I just prefer everything else Leo designed.
Flash

Postby jim.i » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:24 am

You are exactly right, it does have the P fullness but still a J sound. I've played other J basses that sound like this but it took active electronics and batteries to make that happen. It surprises me that this mod is not more common or talked about, before swapping out pickups to create a fuller spectrum sound.
jim.i

Postby bdgotoh » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:56 pm

It's been a crazy year for me G&L-wise. I bought an Empress L-2500 late last year and liked it so much that I bought a whole bunch more! The two on the left are my long time faves from 1997, the rest are quite recent and all but the gold L-1000 have Empress bodies.

G&l is still building some of the very best basses out there.

bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mr. Mom » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:02 am

bdgotoh wrote:Image

Oh. My. Freakin'. GAWD!!
I don't know and I don't care,
'Cause I don't wear Tonto's underwear.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:33 pm

The red one on the far left used to be my lightest G&L, now it's the heaviest!
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mike Childree » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Had a little G&L action at my house lately. Sold a really nice hog/ebony L1000 that I'd picked up from Tris....great bass, but the string spacing was giving me fits. Bought a really nice M2500 a couple of weeks ago. Really digging the blackburst w matching headstock. Also noticed that this one didn't come with through-body stringing option...and I can tell very little difference. The B-string really seems better.

So now, I have another nice tobacco-burst M2500 for sale. This one is about 9 lbs. Got it from Kebo, as NOS. Neck looks quartersawn, even though that's not listed in the options on the certificate. Anybody wanna give this guy a home?

Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby bdgotoh » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Nice blackburst Mike! G&L started switching back to topload only for the 5 strings late last year and I agree - the B strings on my two are really great.
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:32 am

Abhh...I see, Brad. Was that possibly in response to concerns about having only 2 screws anchoring the bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 am

This is just an awful picture, but this is my one and only G&L. I call it "TBBITW". (The Best Bass In The World.)

Best sounding bass ever. EVER! I can't even get past passive/parallel mode because it sounds so good. Not that the other modes don't sound just as good, but I just always seem to land on that mode with both pick ups. And then I just stay there for the rest of the gig.

image.jpg
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby bdgotoh » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Ahhh...I see, Brad. Was that possibly in response to concerns about having only 2 screws anchoring the bridge?

I don't think anyone from the factory has said anything official but I'd guess that's at least part of the decision. It also makes manufacturing easier since you don't have to drill through the body and do the careful finishing around the ferrules on the back.

Mr. Mom wrote:This is just an awful picture, but this is my one and only G&L. I call it "TBBITW". (The Best Bass In The World.)

Best sounding bass ever. EVER! I can't even get past passive/parallel mode because it sounds so good. Not that the other modes don't sound just as good, but I just always seem to land on that mode with both pick ups. And then I just stay there for the rest of the gig.

image.jpg

Lovely bass, what's the body wood?
bdgotoh
Bad Ass Evil One

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:04 pm

bdgotoh wrote:Lovely bass, what's the body wood?

Ash. I like the natural/maple combo, myself.
Mr. Mom
Bad Ass Slut

Postby Flash » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:This is just an awful picture, but this is my one and only G&L. I call it "TBBITW". (The Best Bass In The World.)

The only problem with that is this is the best bass in the world.

El Toro.jpg
Flash

Next

Return to G&L