Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Re: Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Postby rsnell22 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I took the L2500 to the noisy place this weekend, and it was almost perfectly quiet. Only with the volume up and the treble all the way up, can any slight noise be heard. No buzz when not holding the strings. I've had more than one comment on the difference the shielding makes, and how much better the bass sounds. It is cured! Yee-haaa!

While I was working on the shielding, I found a poor connection on the white wire from the neck pickup, at the solder joint on to the switch. It was hanging by one strand, and actually fell off when I moved the wire. Having resoldered the connection, I find that the bass seems quite a bit more punchy. That may have also had something to do with the noise, but who cares now?

This is the one I de-fretted, and man is it ever sweet now. [smilie=music-smiley-008.gif]
rsnell22

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:31 pm

I've modified my L-2500 for reliability and what I feel are sonic improvements. Parties interested in these modifications can contact me off-board for details.

Thanks!

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Freddels » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:25 am

Are there any recording examples with the new Aggie preamp?
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:06 am

Freddels wrote:Are there any recording examples with the new Aggie preamp?

No, sorry. I'll try to get something put together, but can offer no promises.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby hmagman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
Freddels wrote:Are there any recording examples with the new Aggie preamp?

No, sorry. I'll try to get something put together, but can offer no promises.

Ken...

Ken, I'm also interested in hearing the Aggie pre with the L2500...
Harry
hmagman

Postby ghiadub » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:50 pm

So, I am working on a mod to my L-2500 tribby.

I have small hands so I am taking the neck down a little bit and slightly more on the treble side to make it asymmetrical.

Once I get that where I like it, I will be refinishing that pale maple with some vintage tint.

I the neck profile is close, but I will need to wait a few for some warmer weather to shoot the nitro.

I am thinking I might try a single coil mod, anyone done it?

Here is a pre molestation shot:

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Climax - Parallel to SC Mod by Brad

Postby jamie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:09 am

"I looked at my notes and you should have two white wires on your Climax switch that are next to each other,
one in the middle of the switch and one out by the edge. If that's what it looks like,
all you need to do is move the outer white wire to the same middle lug as the other white wire."

pic and comments by Brad

Last edited by jamie on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamie

Postby noahvale » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 am

Mr. Mom wrote:Fellas, asked this before on another forum but can't remember the response: I'd like to replace the pickup selector switch with a blend knob. Is this possible? Pros and cons?

Since no one responded, here is my thoughts on blend controls in passive circuits. G&L's are active, but only in the added treble that is added by the pre, the controls are passive.

Passive two pickup instruments with blend don't work. Centered, the volume will be much lower than when dialed either way. The only way for a blend to work correctly is with the pickups buffered, which is why onboard preamps are used. Ever wonder why Fender has never made a passive Jazz with a blend control?
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Well this is redundant but is that why 2 Vol and one tone on a lot of old basses?
Thanks
Rob
Rob Francis

Postby noahvale » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:05 am

Not only old, but a lot of new basses as well. The problem with a blend is that the pickups interact with each other and the volume changes as the blend changes, pretty radically depending on position. With two volumes, you have a much broader range of adjustment, and can dial in the blend much better. Personally I hate dual volumes. My main bass has a Bartolini NTMB preamp. I rarely adjust anything but the blend, which really works. The B stands for buffers, two of them.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

K-switching with chiclets.......

Postby El Tookay » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 am

I'm totally anal about anything that alters the sound of my #1, and i tried Daveplaysbass's mods using the Digi-Key switches, and followed Dave's wiring diagrams, and found that I did not like the sound of the outer coil on the bridge pup solo'ed or with the neck pup- the sound got kinda honky and into a StingRay /El Toro place. Not a bad thing, but not what i want to hear out of that bass. i ended up using the Digi-key switch and wiring it up as stock, with the chiclets in circuit. The result is single coil with bass boost (OMG) /single coil /parallel. The single coils are both lower coils, closest to the bridge. You get the same sound, the same buzz in OMG, but now a single coil setting that doesn't alter the rest of the bass' sound. Did the same to my fretless Tookay, and both sound wicked.

The J-bass burp and fart are there, but thicker. i don't think you can get a true J sound out of MFD's anyways, given the parameters of the coil size/ shape vs. a j pickup. There is a very good Ricky tone in there, and the neck pup soloed in single takes you to that '51 P zone. The fretless on the bridge pup offers a new flavor of fart, bright and focused, but not brash.

Downside to this mod is that the chiclets maintain the buzz. Either ditch the chiclets (not me!), or shield the bass totally. Personally, I'm for the copper tape and that glorious OMG roar.......oh, I should point out that both basses are mid 90's versions with 1.0 pre-amps, stock chip. i don't plan on trying this with the 84, E-pre.
-Craig M./......mantra:-" StanleyGeddyOxStu JacoPinoRoccoDuck'n'Chuck"
El Tookay

Washers for the truss rod..

Postby spideyjg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Courtesy of Alan.....

Chef wrote:Common problem on older basses. Wood in the trussrod route compresses, threads now end above the wood.
The easy fix-and this comes from old Fender TSB's (AFAIK, but I was turned on ot this many years ago now...) is to add a couple washers under the truss rod adjust bullet.

Probably none if this is news to you guys. Hopefully this part is....I'd always had a hard time finding washers that were a good fit. Too wide, hole too big, hole too small. This left me drilling, machining down the outside...

I went to fastenall with a bullet today, and they set me up with 4mm machine washers. about 10 seconds with a round file to clean up the inside hole, and there ya go.

Maybe there's some sort of standard truss rod bullet nut that requires no mods, but I've never met one and was kinda excited by the 4mm machine washer.
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby noahvale » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:43 am

Update on this old thread and my old basses, not necessarily gnl's...
I have been going back and forth with the controls on my Swampbass since I got it. Originally it had a Roland midi pickup in it, hence the two extra holes. The pics don't show the current setup with 5 knobs. I put a master volume ahead of the two pickup volumes. Now I can adjust the pickups any way I want them and control the overall volume. I really like this setup.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Postby spideyjg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu May 06, 2010 10:27 pm

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=9&t=242

How I resolved the barrel jack problem.