Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Leo's "Final Frontier"

Re: Mods/Improvements for your G&L

Postby Basscase » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey, I am new to the forum. I just scored a 1980 L-1000 mahogany/maple . The tuners are kind of corroded and I was considering the possibility of putting in a new set of the light weight G&L tuners on the new basses. First, are they available from G&L, second, would they fit, and third, would this be an improvement or would it be bad mojo? Also, would the lighter weight tuners make a noticeable difference in the bass' weight. It weighs in at a few pounds heavier than my other G&L.
Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Basscase

Postby spideyjg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Basscase wrote:Hey, I am new to the forum. I just scored a 1980 L-1000 mahogany/maple . The tuners are kind of corroded and I was considering the possibility of putting in a new set of the light weight G&L tuners on the new basses. First, are they available from G&L, second, would they fit, and third, would this be an improvement or would it be bad mojo? Also, would the lighter weight tuners make a noticeable difference in the bass' weight. It weighs in at a few pounds heavier than my other G&L.
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

New tuners should fit like a glove and drop 4oz off the headstock.

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Basscase » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

I didn't see the tuners on the G&L website, how does one get a set?
Basscase

Postby Reb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

If they are not pitted, I would try any of the chrome polishes, with some elbow grease they should polish up close to new. I polished up a early 80s with brasso and it looked like new when done and stayed that way for years after. Keep originals if you can , and don't toss them if you do replace them. If yours in Mahogany, the difference in weight will be insignificant. Bass players looking for light weight mahogany basses are looking for something that does not exist. If you want light weight, sell it and buy a light body bass.

Reb
Reb

Postby Basscase » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:02 pm

I spent a couple of hours with some chrome polish and they did clean up surprisingly well, they are still a little "speckled" on close inspection, but the bass is 30 years old, so it has the proper vintage look. I plan to post some photos as soon as I get some good shots. Thanks for the feed back.

-Todd
Basscase

Re: Springs over foam

Postby spideyjg » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Had a project bass to experiment on. As many of you know I don't like the new foam pickup suspension G&L is using and greatly prefer the old springs.

Old SB-1

L2KE

BABE..

Got some #127 springs from Ace because they felt similar in strength and compression length as the old ones but are a fair bit wider diameter. Drilled a shallow 3/16 hole to grip them

Stuffed them with foam and slapped in my old Schaller that I took out of the SB-1

Didn't get the screws to go in dead straight :hid: so the adjustments are a tad wonkier than my old G&L's but for the most part it works like the old stuff. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Jim
Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Basscase » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 pm

A while back I read a post by spideyjg,( i think), about how the jack on a Climax bass does not turn off the drain on the battery. Was there ever a "how to" post or a schematic on doing this? I think it had something to do with switching out the two wire jack for a three wire stereo jack?
Thanks,
Todd
Basscase

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Basscase wrote:A while back I read a post by spideyjg,( i think), about how the jack on a Climax bass does not turn off the drain on the battery. Was there ever a "how to" post or a schematic on doing this? I think it had something to do with switching out the two wire jack for a three wire stereo jack?
Thanks,
Todd

My un educated guess would be a stereo jack to interrupt the battery circuit when a jack in not inserted.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Basscase » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:55 am

My un educated guess would be a stereo jack to interrupt the battery circuit when a jack in not inserted.

Jimi[/quote]

Right, if anyone out there has done this mod, and has pictures or schematics of the procedure it would be a big help. Could a stereo jack be procured from G&L, if not, from where?
Todd
Basscase

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:24 am

Basscase wrote:A while back I read a post by spideyjg,( i think), about how the jack on a Climax bass does not turn off the drain on the battery. Was there ever a "how to" post or a schematic on doing this? I think it had something to do with switching out the two wire jack for a three wire stereo jack?
Thanks,
Todd

Todd,

See Ken Baker's tutorial for jack replacement.

Per the Switchcraft drawing,

You will wire the stereo panel jack to complete the circuit for the battery negative lead to the control's ground, with the instrument cable plug shaft.

Clip the negative battery lead so you will have enough length to tie the battery lead and the ground wire to the jack's 2 longer tabs.

The signal from the controls Hot output connects to the shortest tab. The battery's negative lead and ground lead will connect separately to the longer tabs.

The stock L1500/Climax wiring picture.
Last edited by jamie on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamie

5 string bridge mod really works

Postby mozarwasagenius » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

So I tried a more "scientific" test

I installed the mod one string at a time with the same set of strings I used for "through the body". For every string I tried (but the B as I'll describe next ) the note clarity and sustain up and down the fingerboard improved with the mod.

I ended up stripping the spacer for the B string mod and thus will go through the body for now.

Sincere thanks to Ken for sharing the mod with us
mozarwasagenius

Postby Basscase » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:46 am

jamie wrote:
SB-2 link to 4 pics including the early SB-2/Lynx with 3x switch.

Jamie,
I would love to see photos and schematics for a second gen SB-1, similar to what is shown in this link. Have you seen anything SB-1 around? I just acquired a beat up SB-1 and I think something may be wonky with the wiring.
Todd
Basscase

G&L SB-1 Schematic

Postby jamie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:53 pm

jamie

Postby Basscase » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks so much!
Basscase

PreviousNext

Return to G&L