Tips on installing ferrules for machine heads?

Share you tips and tricks here.

Tips on installing ferrules for machine heads?

Postby DaveyG67 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:00 pm

What's the best way to install ferrules on a Fender neck, without cracking the finish?

TIA
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Re: Tips on installing ferrules for machine heads?

Postby hmagman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:21 pm

DaveyG67 wrote:What's the best way to install ferrules on a Fender neck, without cracking the finish?

TIA

This is a good question...I'd sure like to know the answer.

Where are the repair guys???
Harry
hmagman

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:24 pm

The tricky part of the install is alignment and starting as perpendicular to the surface as possible.
I have never had a problem with finish but take your time. . .

If its a new neck confirm that the holes are the right size for the ferrules FIRST! Or it can be ugly.
Metric bits can be very close to old standard sizes but not close enough so if you have any doubt take the neck to a hardware store and they'll measure the hole for you if that's your only option. Don't forget that you are basically shoving a wedge into the splittable (sic [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] ) grain.

I like to start the ferrule using a dowel or someting (6-8" long or so) that helps be "see" that I am angled properly. I just grab something that is snug but not too tight a fit and use it to line the bottom of the ferrule with the blank. Once it has a reasonable friction fit I can usually press it into place with a small scrap of wood. Don't hammer it though. If it seems tight and you confirmed the hole size etc. I use a c clamp (or G cramp whichever you prefer) along with wood blocks on both the front and back and s l o w l y tighten the clamp pressing the ferrule into position.

I also use the same clamp even if I had set them in by hand. . .
Sorry no pics right now but I am putting a headstock back on a 12 string accoustic for the fun of it and I can take some pics of that if it would be helpful.

But others here have done a heck of a lot more than me.

Good luck
Rob
Rob Francis

Postby ghiadub » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Like Rob said, use a scrap of wood.

I use two scraps and a big set of channel locks, but I am pretty crude on the repairs, thus my avatar.

You might ask Dave Lynch if it is a vintage bass, he has done some simple stuff for me like that for free.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby DaveyG67 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks guys... the c-clamp & scrap wood idea actually popped in my head.
DaveyG67
Sacto Ho

Postby Rodent » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

bringing up an old thread ...

I recently received a couple necks back from the paint shop where they 'gave me my money's worth' in sealing up the tuner key hole edges ... nudge, nudge ... say no more.

my solution for returning the hole to a properly usable size is simple - I use a round chainsaw sharpening file to carefully remove the finish lip caused by a trigger happy spray tech. once the lip is removed I'll also clean-up any other lumps that my be causing the ferrule to bind. should I happen to file thru the finish anywhere inside the hole (not on the front or rear face) it's super easy to provide protection with a little dab of Tru-oil sparingly applied with a Q-tip

my goal here is to have the ferrule fit such that it slips in with gentle pressure. I don't like them to fit so snugly that they need to be forced into the hole with excessive pressure, and I definitely don't like it when the ferrule drops into the hole without even the need to offer guidance. I've experienced the latter on many pre-finished MightyMite necks

I definitely recommend against this workflow on a vintage neck, but offer it for consideration for anyone who might be assembling a parts build from new stock

all the best,

R

Regenerate Guitar Works
Visit us at the 2014 Winter NAMM Show Booth 1574 - Jan 23-26, 2014

“Popularity is fleeting. … Principles are forever.” - W
Rodent

Links: http://www.RegenerateGuitarWorks.com

Return to REPAIRS