Ibanez "Mod-Star"

Share you tips and tricks here.

Ibanez "Mod-Star"

Postby Sloom » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Not a lot to say, here she is:

Okay- a few things: I stripped off the old lacquer and took the body to a friend's woodshop, put it to the bandsaw- after I spent some time getting the shape that is. Then I spent a few weeks rasping, chiseling, and sanding. Then it sat around for a bout a year and a half... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

After I got back off my arse to finish it, I found out about a guy named Krishna at Boston Guitar Repair (Funkster knew him- thanks again Funk!). He shot the color (Daphne Blue, a nice recommendation from him, as he does a lot of work on old instruments) and between us we came up with the pickguard shape. This was done by email, drawing and uploading our hand-scrawled renderings and talking 'em over. Didn't really take long, even though I was sort of a stickler for overkilling it! I got past it, and dig the shape.

Krishna had the old DiMarzio p'up laying around, so we added that, and the rest was tweaking and set up, stuff you don't see. That's it! It started out a sweetie of a player, has fortunately survived my rough handling, and still is! Now it's the "Main Squeeze". [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Ibanez "Mod-Star"

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:20 am

Cool lookin bass :)
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Sloom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 am

Heh, just saw this reply... thanks!
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby ghiadub » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:05 am

That thing is cool. Do you have any other angles of it? Also, is that your pa or stereo behind it?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Funkster » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:31 am

Yep it's a great bass that started life as a mid 80's Ibanez Roadstar,, Great job and collaboration.
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it.
JFH'Productions

Henry
Funkster

Links: http://www.myspace.com/jfhproductions
http://www.jfhproductions.net
Vintage Fender basses and 70's SVT's that about sums it up for me.

Postby GonzoBass » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:59 am

Interesting re-shaping goin' on there
(not sure how I missed this the first time around).

ghiadub wrote:Do you have any other angles of it?

Yeah!
More pics!!!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Postby Sloom » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:53 pm

ghiadub wrote:That thing is cool. Do you have any other angles of it? Also, is that your pa or stereo behind it?

That's a PA mess behind it, yep.

I got this bass from Funkster a few years ago and last year finally finished 'er up. Here's a before/after and some other shots:
Before...

After...

Other...

Don't mean to use up too much space here... anyway it was and still is a sweetie-pie of a player. It's now my fav dub-bass, until I find the right short-scale. And then I'll still play it all the time. It's pretty much replaced my Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity.
Sloom

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:05 am

I really dig those cutaways and especially the body contours.

Thanks for the pics too, posts without pics have been known to "not happen" or be worthless [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

So, where are the strap buttons?
[smilie=coz.gif]

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:28 am

Here's the part where I get some head-scratching and an interesting comment or two. This is a jig I stick on back of my basses if I find it's pretty necessary... see, I get discomfort like numbness and other wierdness in my wrist and hand when I hold my arm out and turn my hand to a palm-up position to play. This little device helps that by allowing me to pull the bass up, unrestricted, into a more vertical playing position (think Bill Wyman).

Also I put the rear strap-button on the backside of the bass. This whole new strap-mounting situation tends to bring the headstock closer to my center, and my arm doesn't have to reach as far away. Disclaimer is over... I really love playing this bass. Weighs nothing, fun and a sweet player. Thanks for all the nice comments!

-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby Rob Francis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 pm

That's an interseting approach for neck divers too I suppose [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] . . . hmmm what fret are you lined up with at the strap button Sloom?
Rob Francis

Postby Sloom » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:19 am

Rob Francis wrote:That's an interseting approach for neck divers too I suppose [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif] . . . hmmm what fret are you lined up with at the strap button Sloom?

Right about fret #13, Rob. I did the same to the Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity I have- which is a full-on neck diver- and that one's right about fret #12 I think. The Poplar body wings on that one makes it a little "light in the tank", but the jig now makes it stay where I put it.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby ghiadub » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:39 am

This is getting interesting. Thanks again Sloom. I like this for a neck diver and I hate ergonomic issues.

Rick turner makes somthing like this but it attaches to one of the neck bolts.

How does the bar attach to the bass?

I imagine this would work for any bass with a heel?

Have you ever thought about making a few extra? [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:45 pm

ghiadub wrote:This is getting interesting. Thanks again Sloom. I like this for a neck diver and I hate ergonomic issues.

Rick turner makes somthing like this but it attaches to one of the neck bolts.

How does the bar attach to the bass?

I imagine this would work for any bass with a heel?

Have you ever thought about making a few extra? [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

It's attached by actually routing a channel into the back of the bass the same dimension as the bar. I start with the bar at the length I want, drill and countersink 2 holes into it, then screw it to the back of the bass. I have the bass taped off where the bar goes on and scribe around it to the tape with an extra-fine Sharpie. Remove the bar, set up a temp jig and out comes Mr. Porter-Cable. It's always a tense moment...

After the rout is done I drop some Epoxy into the channel and screw down the bar, then cover it with the bolt-plate (making sure the rout is deep enough, so the plate isn't obstructed by the bar).

When I did the Peavey there's no bolt-plate to cover the "damage" with. I'll be a little more artful about it next time (I'll get a pic of it). The thing is it pretty much has to be installed by someone with some wood-shop chops under the belt.

On a neck-thru you're pretty much committing to the look of a hardware installation- without the presence of the bolt-plate. Where you at? I could make a couple extra and send 'em to you. You handy with a router?

I like the idea of using a bolt-plate screw, but this was nady since I didn't have to mess with screw lengths. The first two times were into neck-thru basses, so I just did what I knew on te Ibanez..
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Return to REPAIRS