10 Vs 13 hole pickguards

Share you tips and tricks here.

10 Vs 13 hole pickguards

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Wed May 13, 2009 4:52 am

Didn't really know where to post this....not really a repair, more of a quest for knowledge.

If you have a P Bass with a 13 hole Pickguard (normal I guess). Will a 10 hole Pickguard fit on it (line up) using the existing holes, just 3 less. Or would you
have to put 10 all new holes in your bass?

I want to put a gold adonized pickguard on a custom made Fiesta Red P Bass I have, the current pickguard has 13 holes like most Fenders do now...the only gold pickguards I can find have 10 holes. So there is the issue, Or does anyone know where I could find a 13 hole gold pickguard?

Thanks allot
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Re: 10 Vs 13 hole pickguards

Postby Rob Francis » Sun May 17, 2009 1:27 pm

It's been really slow in this forum. . . might try Vintage I'm sure Kevin knows the answer. :hid:
Rob Francis

Postby MickeyOne » Sun May 17, 2009 6:35 pm

I don't know for sure but I'm guessing not. I play MIJ PBasses and none of the other guards from American, Mexican or post market producers fit.
i had a tort one custom made by Pickguardian. Nice but not cheap.
MickeyOne

Postby Dr. Greenthumb » Mon May 18, 2009 5:36 am

Thanks guys.....yeah I thought about posting elsewhere for more traffic, however there is no need for it anymore. As of Saturday I know the answer to my own question. [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]

I went ahead and bought the 10 hole Gold Anodized guard. 9 of the 10 holes match up perfectly, I had to drill one hole on the bass for the 10th on the guard, and the unused holes from the 13 hole guard are simply coverd by the pickguard. So it's pretty much just like swaping the guard, no biggie at all. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Mike
What if the Hokey- Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about?
Dr. Greenthumb

Postby Rob Francis » Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 am

Well that means never mind [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rob Francis

Postby nolabass » Mon May 18, 2009 11:22 am

It seems as a general rule most pickguard makers want a tracing of the existing guard because there is soooo much difference between Fender style guards.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Flash » Fri May 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Sometimes you get lucky but my guess is they won't line up. Tele's and J bass pickguards do not match up between vintage and modern so my guess is no.
Flash

Return to REPAIRS