Adding a P'up to a P-Bass

Share you tips and tricks here.

Adding a P'up to a P-Bass

Postby Sloom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Hey folks. I'm looking at picking up Mickey 1's G&L Humbucker in the 'For Sale' ads. I'm going to drop it into my Mexi P-Bass; I've strung it BEAD for a band thing I'm in, and would like a little more definition for the B string, etc. I was going to put it in the bridge position, in addition to the split-'bucker in there now. The P-p'up alone is a little blurry to my ears, down that low.

Any thoughts as to how to wire this up/integrate it into the existing standard Precision wiring to get the most out of it? Looking for 'clean' mostly, as opposed to 'dirt' or hotter output. I want to the sound to move 'up a notch', and to get the most out of that B string.

If I ever re-string back to standard (probably will someday), I'd like it to remain a nice bass for recording with. I did a session with the bass a few months ago and it was great for that- that's the biggest reason I still have it. But I want to see how versatile I can be with it, so I'm whippin' out the router... [smilie=cool-smiley-031.gif]

Thanks for any advice.
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it".
-The Grubs.

Tad Lackluster's Soundcloud
Sloom

Links: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Novera ... 7439378..1

Re: Adding a P'up to a P-Bass

Postby ghiadub » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Ken has a great diagram Here. I hope he does not mind me posting that.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:05 pm

ghiadub wrote:Ken has a great diagram Here. I hope he does not mind me posting that.

Bookmarked... I won't tell anybody! Thanks Tim.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Postby spideyjg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Ask Brad.....

I keep not finding the spare time to do it. I'm thinking the rear pickup wired like a wunkay, and a pup selector switch. neck, both, bridge. The SX is VVT so I may try it that way also

The coils have to be placed where the Lynx/El Toro was which is about 1/4" neckwards of a 2K. This would put one coil set where the Lynx/Bull was and the other where the SB-2 is.

Silverbass wrote:gawd damn the pusher man
spideyjg
Bouncer

Postby Sloom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't entirely get this- esp the G&L 1K reference... but I'm checking out the visual placement of the 'bucker there on the P-bass.
-The Grubs.

Sloom

Return to REPAIRS