Capacitors

Share you tips and tricks here.

Capacitors

Postby MoBeach » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 am

I started re wiring a bass that was active, into a passive P/J configuration. I got all new pots and wired them in, then on the tone control the diagram shows a green circle that says ".05 cap" I take it this means capacitor, is there any specific kind I'm looking for? does this mean 1/2 volt? 1/2 watt? I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I go to radio shack.

Thanks.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wi ... d_p_j_bass
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Re: Capacitors

Postby ghiadub » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:13 pm

I go with a .047 mf like this:

http://www.allparts.com/047-inchOrange- ... 81-000.htm
that is the part but that price is way high IMO

I am not sure if Butch still sells them from his store, but that is where I got mine for like a buck each I think.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby MoBeach » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info!
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.

Postby MoBeach » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I'll probably see what Radio Shack has before I order online.
Bye
MoBeach

Postby Freddels » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

If it's the tone cap, I'd go with the .1
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:05 am

Maybe the .05 is a Basslines thing? I have the "hot" P/J set.
Bye
MoBeach

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:24 am

.047 is pretty much the industry standard for bass tone pots. Radio shack has em : a couple in a pack for a couple bucks tops. Some people can get crazy about different kinds of capacitors and their sound but to me it's pretty much a pissing contest. I'm sure if you do a search at another bass player site, you can find flame wars on capacitor types.... but then again you can find flame wars on just about every topic(which is why I boycotted that joint for a long time now)

i've been using the RS caps for years..... now I buy them in bulk from allparts but the RS caps are fine for your application.

BUT........ only if you have fun!

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Karl. I'm heading to the Shack in Wareham right now as a matter of fact.
Bye
MoBeach

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 am

huh........ I didn't realize you were a Cape Guy........................whereabouts? Buzzards bay/bourne? i'm in harwich
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:13 am

hoytbasses wrote:huh........ I didn't realize you were a Cape Guy........................whereabouts? Buzzards bay/bourne? i'm in harwich

Bourne, this is the bass you re wired. That damned buzz came back so I retired the bass for a while, then finally took it all out, bought new pots and re wired it again. Quiet as a sleeping baby now! Either that Bart preamp was bad or it was one of the pots.It's a passive bass now but it has some serious growl. Like you say, there's nothing passive about passive pickups!

Edit: it's not the prettiest wiring job but it works :)
Bye
MoBeach

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:09 am

Kinda old post I know, but I am a fan of Sprague orange drop caps. Friend of mine gave me a couple to play with. I like them very much.

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Return to REPAIRS