Steel Wool or Silver Paint to dull mirror guard?

Share you tips and tricks here.

Steel Wool or Silver Paint to dull mirror guard?

Postby nolabass » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 am

I can't hang with the mirror guard on my Scheff any longer. Just too over the top for me blinding the audience with stage lights or distracting them flashing on the ceiling. I wanna dull it down....thought about painting it silver....maybe could remove the paint later and still have a ruffed up mirror guard......or....take steel wool to it and be done with it. Not gonna spend the dough for a different one. I like the look with the chrome pup covers and what not...just wanna calm the mirror part down.
Attachments
Scheffzbetter.jpg
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Re: Steel Wool or ilver Paint to dull mirror guard?

Postby hoytbasses » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:12 am

I think that if you wanted more of a brushed steel look some 000 steel wool (off the bass) may do the trick.... .may look like crap though. IS there a chance that the back side of the PG is also mirrored so you can experiment?

OR order a different type of PG from the mfg?

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby nolabass » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am

Looks like I can wool the back....keep some gloss on the surface. The mirror surface is only on the back....the guard itself is clear plastic.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby GonzoBass » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:33 am

I know what you mean,
my MM does the same blinding thing.

I'd try sanding/steelwooling the back
or maybe heat would remove the mirror
(kinda like removing car tint)?

No idea how that's gonna look though.
[smilie=coz.gif]
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple
Xavier Custom 6 String
Ibanez AEB10K Acoustic
Dean Rhapsody 8 String
Carvin BK2A Fretless
Gibson EB3 (Project)
Epiphone Newport EBS
Synsonic Half Scale
Fender Mandolin
A couple Flea Ukuleles
and a few guitars...

Rigs:
Small-
GK MB112 combo
Medium-
GK MB500
GK 2x10 Neo
Large-
GK 1001 Mark II 2x10 combo
GK 1x15 RBS

Effects:
Line 6 Bass POD XT Live
BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer

Re: Steel Wool or Silver Paint to dull mirror guard?

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Interesting.

If the guard works in a similar fashion to a conventional glass mirror, the silvering that actually does the reflecting is on the back side and is very thin. So abrading the back with steel wool or sandpaper will just remove the silvering and leave you with a translucent piece of plastic. It would probably be tough to remove just a little of it evenly. Abrading the front would reflect a pinpoint of light as if through an out-of-focus lens.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:02 am

In an effort to preserve the original pick guard, I would get some of that tacky paper in an appropriate color of course (black could be cool), stick the pickguard to it and cut around cleanly with an exacto knife. Easy enough to replace it if it gets scuffed up or starts to lift off the guard and if and when you wanted to take it off, you just pull it off and clean it up with a mild cleanser (not goof-off or goo be gone as these will smoke your pick guard). Anyhow, I hate to see the original stock pg get permanently scuffed up.

Best of luck

Yanno, another cool look IMO is the no pickguard look. I never cared for the open holes, so I would reset the screws in them sans the guard - is a neat & clean look.
Last edited by Rhian Batson on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby hmagman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 am

I think it's WAY cool as is...no change is my opinion. [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Postby Mike Childree » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:46 am

I'd take a tracing of the original guard and make a pattern of it, and send it to Jeannie's or WD and have them make you a brushed aluminum guard.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby nolabass » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Mike Childree wrote:I'd take a tracing of the original guard and make a pattern of it, and send it to Jeannie's or WD and have them make you a brushed aluminum guard.

Ya, since the original post I'm in better financial condition.... couldn't justify $100 guard. Still resist it.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I would resist that too. I00 bones for a cosmetic effect? That's like paying 50 bucks for a McDonalds hamburger. [smilie=fun_84.gif] For 100 bucks the crowd can close their eyes as far as Im concerned lol
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:48 pm

If the glare is all that bothers you but a pack of laminating pages at an office supply.
They go on like tape and will dull the reflection.
Rob Francis

Return to REPAIRS