Bass Hum

Share you tips and tricks here.

Bass Hum

Postby hmagman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am

I have a J bass with a set of tape wound strings installed and when I inadvertantly touch the pickup pole pieces I hear a humming sound. I'm assuming this is due to the fact that there is no metal-to-metal contact at the bridge/string point as a result of the "nylon taped" strings. To my knowledge all the wiring is correct...

Is there a way to control this humming sound? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Thanks
Harry
hmagman

Re: Bass Hum

Postby Rhian Batson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Hmm, I would test the bass with a set of rounds or flats to see if the hum goes away. If it's still humming away, I would check the ground wire for breaks, lack of contact to the bridge and/or cold solder joint. If the ground wire is good, I would shield the cavity to reduce interference. If the hum does go away with the string switch out, well hmm that's a tough one ... if the nylon is blocking contact and creating the hum, perhaps take a knife and scrape away a small spot of nylon right where the string would make contact with the bridge saddle, re-establishing metal to metal contact and eliminating the hum. Never tired it but it sounds doable [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby hmagman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:24 am

Good idea about scraping the nylon tape off the strings...that will be the first thing I'll try! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Postby harleyyy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:10 am

hmagman wrote:Good idea about scraping the nylon tape off the strings...that will be the first thing I'll try! [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

Thanks,

Wouldn't that cause it to unravel?
"I try to keep 'Thou shalt not kill.' The rest of them I'm kind of shaky on." Willie Nelson
"Forget The Drama, Shut Up And Play." ME

Mr Meanor on Facebook
harleyyy
Host Of Your Forum

Links: http://badassbassplayers.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BadAssBassPlayerscom
https://www.facebook.com/MrMeanorBand
http://wwwwww.tonewavetech.com

Postby MoBeach » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:04 am

If you're dead set on using the nylon strings you'll probably have to have a luthier modify the grounding system, maybe a small section of wire and copper tape where your forearm rests on the bass. You could also try a damper soldered in after the tone knob.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby ghiadub » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:50 pm

I use the tapes on one of my single coil equipted basses and there is no issues with hum other than the usual single coil.

The ball of the string should be touching the bridge in any case.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rhian Batson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm

harleyyy wrote:Wouldn't that cause it to unravel?

I have no idea - never used nylon strings before. Just thinking out loud. [smilie=fun_84.gif]

giadub wrote:The ball of the string should be touching the bridge in any case.

This makes much more sense than notching off some of the nylon to achieve the same effect. If the bead is creating contact, then I would move back to checking ground then to solder joints, wiring and shielding.

MoBeach wrote:...modify the grounding system, maybe a small section of wire and copper tape where your forearm rests on the bass.

I read online where this guy had a wicked hum while recording, so in a pinch he taped a wire from his forearm to the bridge. Ghetto fix but it worked for him I guess. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Postby hmagman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:38 am

Thanks for the input... I'll check out the solder joints tonight and see if I can find a problem... [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Harry
hmagman

Return to REPAIRS