Jazz Bridge Pickup?

Share you tips and tricks here.

Jazz Bridge Pickup?

Postby hmagman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 am

Is there a passive wiring setup or configuration that I can get MORE volume from a typical Fender J bridge pickup? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] Volume equal to or greater that the neck pickup...
Harry
hmagman

Re: Jazz Bridge Pickup?

Postby Gil Escalera » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm

Assuming these are a standard set of single-coil Jazz pickups they are usually electronically matched (i.e. same signal output strength). Their physical locations however dictate a different output from each other. This is because the string vibrations are wider [less restricted] over the neck pickup and produce a wider range and amplitude of frequencies as compared to the string vibrations over the bridge pickup position. In order to compensate with this disparity the output levels of the pickups are "balanced" by adjusting the height of the pickups (i.e. the bridge pickup is higher or closer to the strings and the neck pickup is lower or farther from the strings).

That's typically how the pickups on a Jazz bass are balanced. There is no passive wiring trick to get you more volume from a pickup. :(

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:08 am

That's typically how the pickups on a Jazz bass are balanced. There is no passive wiring trick to get you more volume from a pickup. :(

- Gil

Gil,

Thanks for the information...

What is the verdict on a FENDER JAZZ BASS WIRING HARNESS SERIES PARALLEL WIRING setup? Check this out on ebay... useful?
Series Parallel
Harry
hmagman

Postby Gil Escalera » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 am

The Series/Parallel switching is basically what Fender now promotes as their "S1" switch. In series mode the two pickups are wired in series (as opposed to the standard jazz bass parallel mode) to give you a bigger/bolder sound as they are acting as one big pickup now instead of two individual pickups (think P bass pickup). This will give you a different stronger sound but won't make the bridge pickup more louder per se. Also, in "series" mode you get one master volume and a master tone pot. The second volume pot is bypassed. Again, think P bass and one pickup.

The series option is nice, for a different or additional sound, but I don't think it will accomplish what I think you are looking for. You can go to your local Guitard Center and try a Fender Jazz with the S1 switch and see if that's what you're looking for or not. I've had the series mode option wired in on J basses before. Although fun at first, the novelty wore off and I never really used that sound (since I usually use a J-bass for the popular J-bass sounds). I eventually wired it back to normal. That's been my experience with series in a J-bass. YMMV.

- Gil
To "B" or not to "B"... that is the question. ;)
Gil Escalera
Global Bouncer

Return to REPAIRS