Dented in voice coil dome fix/trick.

Share you tips and tricks here.

Dented in voice coil dome fix/trick.

Postby Rhian Batson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:29 pm

OK, Im sure this must be common knowledge and I somehow missed the memo, however I was repairing some dirty nasty looking old speaker cabinets I found laying out by the dumpster that had dented in but functional speakers. Anyhow, I ended up deciding on trying the suction tube function of a vacuum to hold onto and pop out the dented-in dome portion that covers the voice coil of their 12" speakers. This worked like a charm - just popped em right out. The speakers sounds great tambien. I'm pumping PInk Floyd's The Wall on vinyl through them right now.

Not that I need these at all, however I hate seeing abused but functional audio equipment discarded by lazy people and I'm sure I can give the set away on CL or FB or something, so they're cleaned up and rocking. Cool mid sized vintage 70's looking faux wood grain stereo speaker cabs lol that sound great.

Anyhow, that vacuum tube suction trick is a great fix for popping out dented in speakers. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Re: Dented in voice coil dome fix/trick.

Postby randall » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 pm

Be careful with a vacuum, you can suck a hole in the dome, or worse. I use tape. Scratch a nail lightly over a piece of tape into the dent, and pull gently. I have even been successful with dented aluminum dome caps.
06 Lakland Glaub w/ DS, 85 G&L SB-1, 94 Mexican P
G&K 800RB, Ampeg B-15, Peavey Micro Bass
randall

Postby nolabass » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 am

Yep, old school trick and worthy of a new post as we're not all old......er.....school here.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby aussiemark » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 pm

randall wrote:Be careful with a vacuum, you can suck a hole in the dome, or worse.

I knew that girl too.
aussiemark

Return to REPAIRS