RR Tinted Clear coat aresol

Share you tips and tricks here.

RR Tinted Clear coat aresol

Postby Rhian Batson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Anyone have success with this? I don't want to invest in a sprayer for custom blended finishes at this time and have a few projects with Poly necks that I would like to add some amber hue to the headstock as I don't like the poly look much. My plan was to rough up the poly finish and spray them with this + a custom decal. The feed back Iv'e read online so far is that it works well with these three caveats:

1.) If the amber clear coat chips, you're left with "white" spots.
2.) It's very yellow/pigmented so watch the layers.
3.) It can cause decals to "peel up".

http://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/tinclearcoat.html

[smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Re: RR Tinted Clear coat aresol

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't know about the decal situation, but I've used the reranch stuff on a client's insrument. it's very yellow and it looks good, but yes, keep some left for patches. what's nice about the reranch stuff is it comes in rattle cans so you you don't have to have all the equipment to do a decent lacquer finish.

any nitro lacquer can mess with decals for sure. proceed with caution/. I'd say use that stuff on a project you don't have a strong attachment to so if you don't like it or it doesn't come out well, no biggie.... and if it comes out good, use it for other stuff.

hope this helps

kfh
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Re: RR Tinted Clear coat aresol

Postby Rhian Batson » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Cool. Thanks for the feed back Karl. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Rhian Batson
Bouncer

Links: Yanno, you live a very short time and then you spend a very long time dead so eat great food, love extra hard, hold on for the ride, and play some bass along the way.

Return to REPAIRS