Bow .... help

Bow .... help

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:37 pm

I just ordered an new NS Bass Cello. I guess the 34" scale inticed me. She will be tuned B - G.

Any suggestions as to what kind of a bow to use. Take into consideration the small size of the Bass Cello as compared to an upright bass. NS offered a Glasser bow, but I'm thinking it was just an introductory offer. So I guess I'll be looking for a bow soon. What about the rosin?

I thinking Frence bow. What are the numbers associated with a bow?

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Bow .... help

Postby ampig » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:25 am

Jimi,
I think this forum is dead. Last I knew. Mike had stepped away and no one else picked up the ball.
I just got my first bow last night. One of our guitarists is a luthier and he made it for me as a gift. I'm clueless about the whole bowing thing. I'm gonna try getting some help over at TB.

peace
Howard
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Howard

I decided to go with a 4/4 cello bow. My reasoning. The NS bass cello is smaller than an upright bass and larger than a cello. French style. I ordered a nice carbon graphite horsie hair bow from Glasser. Well, from Johnson String Instruments. Then the question of rosin came up. Who knew?

If you find any info, turn me onto it.

I'm still waiting for the NS to be delfivered.

Thanks

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby ampig » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:32 pm

Jimi,
Somebody told me to go with a brand of rosin called "Pops"
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby kylierider » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:12 am

I know I'm chiming in kind of late here but you should just get a standard bass bow. If you plan on sticking with it I would stay away from the cheaper ones. I think I payed around 300.00 for mine.
kylierider

Postby Freddels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:52 am

Currently, use Carlsson rosin. I've used Pops in the past too. Pops is very sticky and is a good choice for bass. Not sure what is suggested for cello as it is a different instrument. I don't believe there are German cello bows. The quality of bows varies greatly and up to a certain point, a better bow will help you play better, easier, and sound much better too. The price of bows can be extremely high. There are bow makers just like high end instrument makers and some may only make one bow per month and they still make a good living (so you can imagine what the price of the bow is).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice. For a rosin, someone at Johnson String Instruments (where I purchased the bow) suggested Royal Oak Pro Line Cello Rosin.

Now if only NS would get my bass cello delivered. It's been two months.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:07 pm

I know I'm late coming into this thread, but here goes.

Do get a full sized bass bow, either French of German. Bows range in price from $200 or so for a cheapie to several thousand for Euro bows hand made by master craftsmen. In general a good place to start is in the $500 range, which should get you a decent quality wooden import bow from Asia. There are also some good carbon fiber bows if you want the high-tech thang, and their prices are all over the place. Shop, shop, shop. Lemur Music has a VERY good range of bows.

Also, use rosin made for bass. The stuff for cello or the small instruments isn't sticky enough, nor does it work well with the coarser hair on a proper bass bow. Kolstein's, Carlson's, Thomastik should all be pretty good, but there is a lot of personal preference on this. Kolstein's all season is in use here. YMMV - a LOT.

Ken...
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm

ampig wrote:Jimi,
I think this forum is dead. Last I knew. Mike had stepped away and no one else picked up the ball.

Nah, I'm still here...just hasn't been much to talk about lately. Looks like we have some new toys to discuss now, but I can't tell ya squat about bows.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Return to UPRIGHT