This one will be coming here soon...

This one will be coming here soon...

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Actually, it's already here but goes back to Lemur for final setup to Kevin's specs and installation of an extension.

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/urb/busseto_front.jpg

We were able to work out some really outstanding pricing on this fine Euro-crafted bass.

More pics in a few weeks.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...at least the doctors find me fascinating...
Ken Baker
"Turn the darned thing down!!"

Re: This one will be cmoing here soon...

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Gorgeous instrument!

I assume Kevin's had a chance to play a 7/8, and he can manage it? There are some players (and teachers especially) who like to frown on a bass that size, but I've done fine with mine (with a 42" scale), which is closer to 7/8 than 3/4....and I'm pretty much average-size. I just love the tone of that big body...it's the URB equivalent of the "pants-leg flapper" of the EB world. Love the gamba corners, too.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Gorgeous instrument!

You oughta see it up close & personal. It's really exceptional.

I assume Kevin's had a chance to play a 7/8, and he can manage it? There are some players (and teachers especially) who like to frown on a bass that size, but I've done fine with mine (with a 42" scale), which is closer to 7/8 than 3/4....and I'm pretty much average-size. I just love the tone of that big body...it's the URB equivalent of the "pants-leg flapper" of the EB world. Love the gamba corners, too.

They're actually Busseto corners. Kinda-sorta Gamba-like on top and curvy on the bottom.

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/urb/busseto_front.jpg

He can manage it easily. We've had the bass here on trial for almost a month and he's played it at school as well as all the holiday concerts. It's actually the same scale as the 3/4 it replaces. The body is only a little taller but notably deeper than his old bass. The thing is huge across the lower bouts but relatively slender across the upper bouts, and the scroll is very tall. The case will have to be a custom-ordered Mooradian.

It's also got a thing that Wilfer does where the upper top of the body meets the rib where your left arm goes; it's smooth to make it easier in thumb position. If you look closely at the image, you can see how the right shoulder (as you look at it) is a little lower than the left. Very cool feature on most of the Wilfers.

His one-on-one teacher actually did complain, but not about the size or shape. He bitched because it's a new bass. He likes 'em old and well broken in. Go figure. Everyone else heartily approves, so we're blowing Dave off on this one.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Baker

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Ken Baker wrote:They're actually Busseto corners. Kinda-sorta Gamba-like on top and curvy on the bottom.
Ken...

Duh! Hence the link "Wilfer 7/8 Busseto 4 string". Brain no connect with fingers... [smilie=fun_84.gif]

I'm certainly no expert, but if I were a young player like Kevin the idea of having a really nice bass to conceivably grow old with would be very attractive. That bass will no doubt sound better and better every day of it's existence.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Mike Childree wrote:I'm certainly no expert, but if I were a young player like Kevin the idea of having a really nice bass to conceivably grow old with would be very attractive. That bass will no doubt sound better and better every day of it's existence.

You're no doubt more expert than you let on.

Yeah - this ought to be a lifetime bass.

Ken...
Ken Baker

Return to UPRIGHT