Keep the Wav or get an Englehart..

Keep the Wav or get an Englehart..

Postby Smakbass » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:19 pm

What would you guys do I have the WAV and I like it for the fact its small and fits on a small stage but in most ways its a big fretless soundwise.....I see a englehart right now for about 1100 local....should I ditch the wav for the real mccoy...I do still have an old fishman pick up from college so id be just needing a bow and id be off and running again.....
Smakbass

Re: Keep the Wav or get an Englehart..

Postby Rvl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:54 pm

I have both a EUB and a URB
Personally I would keep the WAV and get a upright
You might be disappointed with the Fishman BP-100 pickup , it doesnt have many fans
The new Fishman is supposed to be much better, I am hoping a used one pops up , to try out
Now using a Realist and it sounds pretty good and thumpy

There are some good URB luthiers in Vancouver
Dont rush into getting one, wait until a really nice used one comes up

Thanks

Robert VanLane
Rvl

Postby Freddels » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I'd pass on the Englehardt. I got one as my first upright bass and it's really not a very good bass. The neck is a bit thin. It didn't help that it was never set up properly.

For a little more you could get decent plywood bass. Get one from a reputable luthier that will set it up properly for you.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:47 pm

I do not own one, but I have been very impressed with the Eminence upright's sound. Portable but still kind of an acoustic and it really sounds great amplified. Someday.....

I had an Ergo 5 and ditched it for a plywood upright. It is a cheap one, but once I got a decent setup it seems to be a lot more of a musical instrument than the Ergo.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:01 am

This reflects my experience only, but I've found that if you freelance, get the real URB. I owned a couple of different EUBs including a really nice Azola, and I never got a gig due to the EUB....the URB, on the other hand....I've been called for gigs simply because I played the thing. Sometimes people just want the thing on stage with them to improve/alter/establish a certain image. Also it gives you the ability to do either amplified or non-amplified gigs, where an EUB does not. Some of the completely acoustic gigs I've done are among the most enjoyable I've ever played.

....and a campfire bluegrass jam with a good URB is a wonderful thing all unto itself.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:03 am

Mike Childree wrote:....and a campfire bluegrass jam with a good URB is a wonderful thing all unto itself.

Because they burn for so much longer. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif] [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Freddels

Postby Smakbass » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:47 pm

Hmm yes we do have a good bass guy here Gerard Samira....Perhaps I will hold off,,I do want something thats going to be playable.
Smakbass

Postby Freddels » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:36 pm

Look at the Shen's, Christopher's, and Upton Bass puts out one with their label on it that gets good reviews.
Freddels

Return to UPRIGHT