EUB Choices?

EUB Choices?

Postby hmagman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:11 pm

My "what if" question of the day is...

What if I was shopping for a good quality, mid-priced EUB, what brands/models would be recommended? [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Re: EUB Choices?

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Used Azola Bugbass...can usually be found in the 1500-1800 range.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 am

Thanks for the information Mike...

(I have this vision of checking out some salsa/latin jazz in the near future.)
Harry
hmagman

Postby Mike Childree » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:25 am

Actaully, Harry....you are close to the Azola place, in Ramona. You oughta go check it out. I tried a lot of EUBs and found that the Azolas offer a great deal for the money spent.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby jshilgebass » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Harry, I recently bought a 4 string electric upright from Ergo Instruments. If we ever have another SD BABP get-together I'll bring it by for you to try out. However, an Azola EUB ain't a bad idea. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Postby hmagman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Mike Childree wrote:Actaully, Harry....you are close to the Azola place, in Ramona. You oughta go check it out. I tried a lot of EUBs and found that the Azolas offer a great deal for the money spent.

Thanks Mike, Ramona is right over the hill from me. I'll call them this week to see if I can visit and chat... [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]

jshilgebass wrote:Harry, I recently bought a 4 string electric upright from Ergo Instruments. If we ever have another SD BABP get-together I'll bring it by for you to try out. However, an Azola EUB ain't a bad idea. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Joe Hilgeman

Joe, I really appreciate the offer, can't wait to try it. Yes, I'm planning to host another SD BABP bass fest...gotta clear it with the BOSS!
Harry
hmagman

Postby hmagman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Made email contact with the folks at Azola. I'm about to setup an appointment to visit their shop in Ramona for a checkout.

Anyone have any experience with their Gypsy EUB?

Should be a good transistion type bass for me. It's been too long since I've played an upright bass. Not convinced I can handle the normal 41" or 41.5" scale.

Gypsy

Thanks,
Harry
hmagman

Postby caribconsult » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

FYI, there's another good choice for an EUB, and it's Ray Ramirez, here in Puerto Rico. His website is http://home.coqui.net/rramirez/index.htm and he offers 4 different styles of EUB's with a variety of pickup and electronics options, including the classic diaphragm pickup used in the original Ampeg Baby Bass, so loved by Latin players for its thumping, almost conga-like sound, to a piezo bridge pickup that offers full sustain and acoustic tone. The electronics options include a mixing pot to vary the blend of pickups, treble, mid and bass tone controls, and of course, a volume control.

You can call or write to Ray and he responds quickly. I've seen several of his instruments and am considering buy one now, so check it out.
caribconsult

Return to UPRIGHT