new upright bass for me!!

new upright bass for me!!

Postby heavyg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 pm

after playing electric for 43 years i finally got a real bass!!!
Attachments
100_0143.JPG
heavyg

Re: new upright bass for me!!

Postby Freddels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:31 am

Welcome to the addiction. It's a lot of fun but it can also be a bit frustrating too. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 am

Hey Congrats! It's a wonderful instrument, and unlike anything else. Give us the details on your new baby! How are you planning to use it?

Apologies if you already know this stuff:

Take Fred's comment to heart, though. Don't set yourself up for failure on this beast, as so many people do. #1 thing to remember is that it's not just a big acoustic bass guitar...it's a totally different instrument. Different physicality and requires a much different approach. Don't expect yourself to be able to play the same way on URB as you do on electric bass.

You may already be sick of hearing this...if not, you will be soon. If at all possible, get yourself some lessons with a teacher...the sooner the better. If nothing else, just a few to get yourself started on the right track with the technique. Otherwise, it's possible to develop bad habits that could doom you to frustration, failure and possibly even injury. This teacher could even be a friend who's already proficient on URB or a good instructional video. I highly recommend Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" DVD.

A big help, also, is a good pro setup. Face it...this is a difficult instrument to learn and play. Most URB's don't come with a great setup, unless you pay some premium bucks. Make it as playable as possible, right now...it'll save you some grief later.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby heavyg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks, yes i had it setup by John Knudsen ( messenger bass ) it now playes great, and yes i'm aware of the pitfalls of not learning
proper technique, it is a very different animal but there is nothing like it, its the real deal and it feels so good, just kind of a pain to haul around...but worth it!!!
heavyg

Return to UPRIGHT