CAUTION!!! String Content

CAUTION!!! String Content

Postby thesandman » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:08 pm

I've got an Engelhardt that has Spirocores on it and I have recently gotten into a bluegrass/roots band. I like the Spirocores but I want a more "old school" sound. So, I just ordered a set of Innovation Silver Slaps.

Any experience with these?
thesandman

Re: CAUTION!!! String Content

Postby Mike Childree » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:17 am

I haven't used the Super Slaps (don't play slap on upright), but I used Innovation Super Silvers pretty extensively when I played bluegrass. They worked out really well on my NS Cleveland ply bass...good volume, really nice gut-like tone, but still with a manageable tension. The only problem I had with them was the lack of focus and sustain of the E-string, which really made them even more gut-like. I applied the common fix that gut players would....used a steel E-string. In my case, a D'Addario Helicore Pizz Medium.

I used this setup for several years in bluegrass and a while after playing acoustic pop/rock. I only recently went back to Spirocores because I thought a little more growl and mids would help in our trio format, but I'm still not as happy with those as I was with the Innovations.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby thesandman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:11 am

Well Mike, I guess I had slap on the brain. I actually ordered the Super Silvers. Came in yesterday, I got them on and practiced with them last night. My kids liked the tone much better, and I do too. The difference intension will take some getting used to, but I think I'm gonna like these a lot.
thesandman

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Actually, I called your supplier and had them change your order... [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]

Glad you're happy with those Super Silvers...I keep looking at my old set, sitting in the used string box, and wondering why I keep struggling with the Spirocores.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Return to UPRIGHT