Advise

Re: Advise

Postby Rob Francis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Mike Childree wrote:The heel of the neck is pretty essential to the muscle-memory intonation you'd develop in the higher registers. Then again, you can play a whole career without ever getting up that high.

Okay between Mike and Fred scaring the hell out of me I bought a fingerboard from Bob G's. (Tried for a used one locally but no luck) and I'm just about ready to begin.

Could someone please [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] trace the back of a 3/4 neck? I'll pay postage and send a big piece of paper if necessary. When I calculate the D note (I'm assuming that it is the same as the 7th fret on a 41.5" base I come up with only a little over 13" of neck before the flat near the body join.

I'm doing something wrong here but I'm ready to measure a Carlo Rubelli at Sam Ash if I have to.

Mo' 2 follow
Rob Francis

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Be glad to help, Rob...but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. Shoot me an email (mike at mikechildree.com) and describe what you're after.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:58 pm

WHOO HOO Thanks Mike!
PM on its' way. Hope It's not ebven more confusing.
Rob Francis

Pictures at 11

Postby Rob Francis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:38 pm

OK Guys thanks to Mike, Fred and Ghiadub I'm nearly there. . .

I am going to put together a pdf on how NOT to do things as the seemingly logical route dosen't always work. Route my butt! My Makita router went lame dropped the bit 1/4" while I was cutting the neck pocket so that's a separate chapter on fixing mistakes. [smilie=tosser.gif]

I have carved 2 necks for this beast so far and really like this one. It's modeled after Mike C's dimensions.

Oh yeah the first neck was pretty sweet. I glued the fingerbopard (bought from Bob G's) with tightbond and the damn thing slipped without me noticing.

Tonite the second glue up happened but I used hide glue just in case [smilie=tosser.gif]

I am going to plant two piezo's to see how they sound before deciding on pickups. I plan to chamber the inside of the back to allow for use as a test bed of sorts. I'd like to try my hand at making a diaphram pickup similar to the old baby basses and they need a lot of room.

It's gonna look ok but we'll see how it sounds ....more later.
Rob Francis

Previous

Return to UPRIGHT