Advise

Advise

Postby Rob Francis » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Ok I have NEVER played a URB. Plunked on them a few times but not "played".
I am interested in building an EUB as much for the woodworking chops as the instrument.

I would like it to be as portable as possible and really not too interested in building a sound box etc. Mostly a stick on a stand with a real board I guess.
If you guys had your dream stick what would it incorporate?

Regular URB board?
Neck shape?
Scale?
Bridge? If I use a conventional ebony board a real maple bridge seems in order just to keep the angles and symetry right.
and importantly what pickups or combo would be tasty?

Thanks guys!

PS
I know I can probably buy something for less but this seems like a worthwhile challenge. I have a pretty fair background in repairs and I am stupidly fearless [smilie=tosser.gif] when it comes to projects like this.
Rob Francis

Re: Advise

Postby ghiadub » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Damn. I thought I was being brave by going from weed whackers to jazz strings and doing the setup myself with zero experience on uprights.

I am no help, but I just thought I would give you props.

Rob, you are a brave man.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:58 pm

Best advice I can give is to check out the links regarding EUBs on Bob Gollihur's Bass Links Page. You'll have to scroll to a little past the center of the page, and there will be a section on Electric Uprights, then another on Homebuilt Electric Uprights. Lots of info available to you in those links. Bob himself was building his own bass at one time, and would probably answer questions.

I've owned a really nice Azola, and I used to look at it all the time and think I'd like to try building one of those. Check out the Ergo basses...so simple...pretty much just a long fretboard with a pickup. I know Butch has/had one and really enjoyed it.

Good luck!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Guys!
If I launch this I'll post progress pics and problems.
I looked at the Ergos Butch mentioned and that's what set me off on the quest [smilie=fun_84.gif]
I thought WTF! I can build a bass why not this (stupid I'm thinkin' but it should be fun and if it dosen't sound like hell I'm not afraid to send it around here a bit for some playin' by real players as a test. [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Wow Bob's site is really incredible. I may buy some key components from him just to justify my calls

Mo' later
Rob Francis

Postby Rob Francis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Well I'm almost ready to start BUT!!!
I'd like some advise about the neck....

Easy enough to do a guitar style neck.
My Q id are the volute and body swell of an upright critical in knowing where you are on the neck?
Also would I be smart, slick, or dumb using a "real " FB with say a 6"radius?

thanks guys
Rob Francis

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:36 pm

The heel of the neck is pretty essential to the muscle-memory intonation you'd develop in the higher registers. Then again, you can play a whole career without ever getting up that high.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:24 pm

The whole neck and fingerboard get larger as it goes up. The fingerboard is a complex curve (like a flag pole/conical).
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Rob Francis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 pm

Gotcha! Thanks guys.
This will be interesting....It may sound like poop but it will be interesting.
I thought I would buy a fret (less) board for a DB and them adjust my neck pattern accordingly.

I have a CAD of a neck for a BD so I can scale things.
If I do go with a ready made board I have the option of a DB bridge or making something with a piz pup.

I would like this to be an experiment for anyone interested so time will tell.
Rob Francis

Postby Freddels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:32 pm

There are the ones that are 34" scale and sort of like having an electric bass only upright. Then there are the ones that try to do the upright scale (or close to it). I think the EB scaled ones still sound like EB.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby ghiadub » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Rob, if you are anywhere near an upright bass shop, you might check with them for an old fingerboard. They usually keep the old ones for folks who build their own out of gas tanks, washtubs, or just mount them on lumber like you are doing.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Mike Childree wrote:The heel of the neck is pretty essential to the muscle-memory intonation you'd develop in the higher registers. Then again, you can play a whole career without ever getting up that high.

Geeze Mike that wasn't true in the 60's .. oh wait! [smilie=fun_84.gif]

Great tip on the used boards I couldn't reach anyone today but tomorrow is another day
Rob Francis

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Well I am slowly moving forward.
I have read more about the history of DBasses than I expected to find.
I did locate a reasonable plan for a neck, and I'm waiting on a board from Bob G's shop to get the tools rollin'.
Hmmm I have some "new " 23 year old tuners in my box that I might use. They are Shallers for a project that died prior to completion but they'll kepp the overall scale of the beast in check.

I am thinking about a full 3/4 scale and regular bridge height but tweaked like the NS bridges which are just a maple plank in a hole.
don't expect any of that always tasty Karl Hoyt eye candy but I'll post as it moves forward.
Rob Francis

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Well guys you spooked me a bit so I ordered a fingerboard from Bob G's shop and it arrived today.
It is fairly highly figured Jatoba. I specifically asked for the figure as this bass should me minimal and I hope the grain will be a focal point.
It looks like a couple hours of sanding to first flatten the back perferctly and then dress the fingerboard.

Presently I can press it flat with the weight of my hand so the back isn't far off but the pre radiused top has a gap of about 1/8 when I lay it on a straight counter top.

If anyone is interested I'll photo doc this stick.
Rob Francis

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm

You have to ask??? Photos are not optional! [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby steveonbass » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 pm

i wanna see too!
peace
-steve
myspace