Ok it's done. . . sorta

Ok it's done. . . sorta

Postby Rob Francis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 pm

I should have pic up tomorrow night, 42" scale greenburst hot lookin but until I string it I don't know what to expect. I made it a mule with a couple 1/8" jacks for extra pickups. It has 2 under bridge one fingerboard and one on the verticle part of the bridge for testing (playing)
I documented my build and disasters (In case Karl needs some to make his kids feel better).

I did discover a cool way to professionalise home spun piezo's . . . it's the plastic stuff they sell at home depot to dip tool handles in.
Pix of that too if anyone is interested.

Thanks to Mike, Ghia, Freddels and Butch for your help guys!

And Karl for his motivation to not make a 2x4 bass [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif]
Last edited by Rob Francis on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Francis

Re: Ok it's done. . . sorta

Postby steveonbass » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Cant wait to see it Rob!!!
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:19 pm

I have been wondering when this would be done. Green is a great color, cant wait to see it.
Also, would love to see/learn about the home grown piezo.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:40 am

no pix.... then it didn't happen:-)
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:44 pm

hoytbasses wrote:no pix.... then it didn't happen:-)

Yeah talk to me Maestro!

I documented ALL of my mistakes for your class if you need to frighten them before they launch.
Maybe later tonite. . . I too it to my friends house for her photog eye which is better than mine.
Rob Francis

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:58 pm

hoytbasses wrote:no pix.... then it didn't happen:-)

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq2/ ... g&newest=1

Here's a teaser but I think it will link you into a lot of build pix that I'll ID later.
I promise better pix.
Rob Francis

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Here are all of my pix until I unload my phone.
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq2/ ... d/?start=0

Not sure what the heck I do wrong when trying to post links sorry for the extra clicks Guys! :hid:
Rob Francis

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Looks pretty cool, Rob! I like the overall aesthetic of the curves you've designed into it. Wish I could try it out....how's it sound?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Sweet! It reminds me of the Zeta EUB a little. Very nice lines and the green/maple looks great.
That action looks nice and low too. Also, nice angle there at the bridge. That should set that piezo to vibrating.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Rob Francis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks guys!
Ghia, my home spun Piz are a little funky. OK for a fingerboard PU but not as good on the bridge so I may grab some K&K's. I probably did swipe someone's design as I looked at way too many basses I should have just done it. It would have been cooked a couple months ago.

Mike, click on the neck pic as I modeled it on the dimensions you sent me from your bass when I put my thumb in the cradle there my index finger hits D [smilie=music-smiley-005.gif] . . . . might be able to make a detour to Columbus when heading to my kid's house in Cartersville pretty soon :)

I actually made 2 necks 5 headstocks (and probably one more) and 7 bridge surrounds for this greenie. I labled all of my pictures with titles uploaded them only to discover they assigned numbers. [smilie=fun_84.gif] I'll re order things a bit on photobucket with explanations if ya'll are interested.
Rob
Rob Francis

Return to UPRIGHT