The sound in my head

The sound in my head

Postby noahvale » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:58 am

The first bass I ever played was an upright. I was in college and was a music ed major. My primary instrument was tuba, so I took string bass as my required string instrument. I took classes in string bass for a year and played it lot, mostly jamming with a piano playing friend who was also a tuba major.
I left college, left music, raised two families, then bought an electric bass at age 39. I never really bonded with the electric. I played probably a thousand gigs on electric, but I was never really happy with electric bass. I got my Ergo EUB several years ago and used it a lot on gigs. I really liked it's sound, but never liked the feel of it.
So this rockabilly gig came along. Upright bass was required, so I bought one. It's taking a while to get the chops to play it, but I am really loving it.
Finally the sound of my bass is the bass sound that has always been in my head.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Re: The sound in my head

Postby hoytbasses » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Here's a place we need a 'like' button. Great posting!

siumilarly, I love playing bass.... all kinds of bass. but In the last year I finally built an electric upright just for me. I LOVE playing that baby. The extra string length, the personality of the instrument. It fills the room even at low volumes. I'm actively looking for a band to specifically and always play EUB. I've never owned a doghouse but some day, maybe... someday!
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby Mike Childree » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 pm

For me, it should be "the sound I can't get OUT of my head". I never really appreciated until later in my playing career, and now I can't get real happy with any electric bass tones...they sound so flat and lifeless, and one-dimensional.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby kungfusheriff » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:36 pm

You can't argue with The Truth. I've been playing slab pretty seriously for 20 years and started to get close to where I'm at now when I got my Earthwood a while back, but nothing touches my little old German shop bass. I literally can't walk past it without playing it. There's nothing to beef with. It's just your fingers, the strings and a plywood barrel. And when you get the bow warmed up... [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif] [smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
kungfusheriff

Return to UPRIGHT