What do I do?

What do I do?

Postby Ben Esparza » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:39 pm

While this might be more at home in the "Amplification" forum, I need advice and opinions from the URB brethren. I stupidly sold an SWR Baby Blue Monitor to fund some GAS. I justified it by figuring I could use my SWR Goliath Jr. III. Too much to schlepp. I'm using a GK MB150E Head to power the cab. I want to build an SWR BB Monitor clone. I bought the 2 Celestion BG8-60 speakers and can build the cab according to all the dimensions I have from when I owned the cab. I can buy the 5" Bag End cone tweeter. However, I have to crossover this cab and I cannot get the specs on the Celestions (no longer available). The frequency stuff is all foreign to me and apparently the 4 ohms of the 2-8's makes thing different frequency-wise if a crossover rated at 8 ohms is used.

I can run the cab tweeterless without a low-pass filter to the 8's. Or I can use a low-pass filter, but which one? I can also crossover the cab with the 5", but what do I use? The fEarful cabs crossover to a 6" mid, not a tweeter. Any suggetions? I have the GK posted for trade for the MB150E/112 cab, but there's also the cab build option...I don't want to screw it up. The combo doesn't use a low-pass filter; it relies on the EQ for the single 12". Wouldn't wiring the 2-8's directly to the input without a low-pass filter work the same? I would really like to reproduce the sound that the SWR BB Monitor produces.

I'm kinda rambling, but I want to use those 2-8's.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Return to UPRIGHT