Wooden End pins make a difference?

Wooden End pins make a difference?

Postby ghiadub » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:36 pm

There is a local dude who is a big proponent of wooden end pins, he claims they are a HUGE improvement in the sound.

I am considering going over to check this out, he is cool with me bringing my bass and doing my own testing.

in this video he compares a few, but it seems like he could just be playing louder..... [smilie=coz.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XNqctOTMyjg

I was wondering what you guys think?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Wooden End pins make a difference?

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:07 am

I've heard this before, but have never tried a wooden endpin. I'd be real interested to hear what you think after you've checked it out.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 am

There's also the carbon fiber camp. I think different basses sound different and changing the endpin might also change the tone. If it was that critical, you'd see all the classical players with them as they are more critical of their sound than jazzers. I don't really notice the builders putting them on their basses for when they enter them in the tone competitions.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:03 am

To me the wooden pin sounded slightly warmer but I don't know about clearer. It almost sounded like more buzz with the steel pin but that wouldn't be an end pin issue. Is it possible he was playing slightly sloppier in an attempt to make his point?
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.
Gallien Krueger Fusion 550 head through Genz Benz cabs.

Postby Mike Childree » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:24 am

Fred makes a good point about the classical players using them. They are SO anal about their tone, and their basses are very costly...you'd think if a wooden pin was that much better, they'd be on it.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

A buddy of mine graduated from Berklee in the late 70's and specializes in Upright bass in a Jazz group, I sent him the video to see what he thinks.
Bye
MoBeach

Links: Custom Build P/J, ESP D6, Schecter C4, Yamaha RBX-A2 (E,A,D,G,C) Brice fretless 6er.

Postby ghiadub » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:20 am

I will add that the think that demo video is on a hardwood floor, which I do not have. it seems that how the bass is hooking up to the floor might have an effect on the tone. My bass has a metal end pin with a spike, but I cover the spike with a rubber foot (I think I learned that here).

Also, it seems like it might be less of a factor if you play thru an amp. Thoughts?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby hoytbasses » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm

moot point IMO:

If it's an adjustable endpin, you're going to lose some sound energy via the endpin/collar,adjusting screw. If you are talking about a solid wooden endpin, that might transfer more sound energy through the floor than an adjustable one, but it's really probably a pretty insignificant thing.... AND if you're playing amplified.... more mud in the water.

what I would be intereted in knowing is if anyoneis using carbon fiber for a SOUNDPOST.... that might make for some interesting changes in upright sound and make for better debate.

I just rebuilt the top on a 100 year old czech bass and I'm in the process of setting the soundpost: i wish i had a chunk of graphite to a/b the bass with.

Happy Sunday

Karl
There's nothing Passive about Passive pickups!
hoytbasses

Postby MoBeach » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:30 pm

You could probably alter part of a graphite fishing rod that's the right diameter. I would think the sound transmission would be very fast and clear. A fiberglass rod filled with resin may also work.
Bye
MoBeach

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:00 am

My boy bob gollihur sells graphite endpins but I can also buy graphite spars (6-8mm I think) from Luthiers' mercantile..... but i didn't even think of a graphite rod: now I know what to do with my broken Ugly Stick [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
hoytbasses

Postby MoBeach » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 am

I broke my ugly stick too! I thought they were unbreakable [smilie=coz.gif]
Bye
MoBeach

Postby hoytbasses » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:04 pm

the shaft is fine, I blew out an eyelet.... which i know are repairable but I'm far too lazy for that
hoytbasses

Return to UPRIGHT