Well, now I'm in over my head

Well, now I'm in over my head

Postby Paul DeLano » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:41 pm

So to speak.

I just bought my first upright bass, somebody clue me in on what the hell to do with it. I picked up a Strunal bass at a couldn't-not-buy-it price. And I've never seriously played upright before. I'm loving plunking around on it, but could use some advice on how to really get going on upright.

Geez, it's been a long time since I've felt like such a noob.

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Re: Well, now I'm in over my head

Postby Freddels » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 am

You should find a good local luthier to give it a once over to make sure it's set up correctly. A proper setup makes all the difference in the world. Then, you may want to seek out an experienced teacher as it really is a whole different technique.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby kungfusheriff » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 am

Agreed 100%, and I would further advise you to buy a bow. Because the notes decay so quickly when you play pizz, it can be difficult to fine-tune your intonation.
kungfusheriff

Postby ghiadub » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 am

+1 on the teacher. I am trying to correct a few years of incorrect fingering. Ya, totally a different instrument.

and this helps a lot:

"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Paul DeLano » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am

Agreed, totally different instrument. My main electric is fretless so I'm used to listening to what I play, but the muscle memory I rely on for finger placement is completely useless on upright. Probably a good idea to get the proper technique down the first time.
It came with a bow, but it's a 'student' quality bow. Would a better bow make much difference at this stage? I plan to play mainly pizz, but I'd like to eventually have the option of going arco. I have to admit I'm a little afraid of the bow. I 'own' a violin, but when I try to play it it sounds like cats fucking.

Thanks!

[smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Paul
"Look, just between us, nothing good ever comes from playing guitar. Nothing." - Kennan Shaw
Paul DeLano

Postby Freddels » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 am

At this stage, I don't think a different bow is going to make that much of a difference unless the one you have is really bad. If it needs a re-hair, then you might be better off just getting a cheap bow from Bob Gollihur. The technique is totally different in that you're not really squeezing the string and neck but rather using the weight of your arm. Plucking the string down near the end of the fingerboard is where you'll get the good tone but it more difficult than halfway up the fb. Strings make all the difference too. Some strings are best for bowing and some for plucking and some are decent for both but there's always trade offs. I actually like Spirocore Weichs (light guage) as they are easy on the fingers and they bow pretty well. Orchestral players wouldn't choose these strings though.

See about a set up and that's a good time to replace the strings.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:08 pm

If you can't get a good teacher right away, check out Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist".

Be patient with yourself!!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Return to UPRIGHT