Upright newbie!

Upright newbie!

Postby Telebass » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:03 am

I've been toying with the idea of upright for a long time, but never got around to it.Then a friend on the Basschat forum got a new 3/4 and hinted he'd let his 1/2 go for a song. He did, and I got my first upright, and a pickup and pre-amp, for $385. No illusions, it's a cheapie, and doesn't sound THAT good (really duff old strings), but playing action is actually very good, so far as I'm able to judge. So far, so good, and I've been noodling away for a couple of months, waiting until now to get some new strings etc, and some lessons.

Cue time-wasting on faceache yesterday morning, and one of my old bandmates tagged me into his frien who was selling an upright. Price, $300, need it gone.
So now I have a slighlty better 3/4, in pinstriped rockabilly white finish! And that included a bow and a stand! No upright to two in eight weeks! We're gonna need a bigger house...

1/2

3/4

[smilie=food-smiley-004.gif]
Fender MIM P Std, 2004, black, all-maple American Special Jazz neck, USA p/u (P bitsa)
Squier VM 70s Jazz, Natural.
Markbass CMD121H & Traveler 151P.
Telebass

Location: Tavistock, Devon, UK - on the wrong side of the Tamar...

Re: Upright newbie!

Postby ghiadub » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Sweet. Congratulations.

Be sure to check out some youtube videos so you don't develop any bad ergonomic habits. At least until you can get a proper lesson from an experienced cat.

Bad habits can be hard to un do if you wait too long. These things can hurt you, trust me.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Re: Upright newbie!

Postby Telebass » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:05 am

Yup, got some lessons in the pipeline.
Fender MIM P Std, 2004, black, all-maple American Special Jazz neck, USA p/u (P bitsa)
Squier VM 70s Jazz, Natural.
Markbass CMD121H & Traveler 151P.
Telebass

Location: Tavistock, Devon, UK - on the wrong side of the Tamar...

Return to UPRIGHT