OK, how many URB Badasses do we have?

OK, how many URB Badasses do we have?

Postby Armybass » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:23 am

Not that I seriously would call myself a bad ass on the URB but you know what I mean.....

Sound Off!

One
Armybass

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:10 am

My ass is pretty bad, but that's too much info, isn't it? [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Anyway, I own a couple of uprights and I get paid to play 'em...
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby morrow » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:36 am

One more here.....at it for a while now but remain modest about my upright playing.
gasbegone
morrow

Postby nolabass » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Used to. Made money at it for a while....I suck but Blues is easy. At least straight up Blues. When I moved to NOLA I decided to sell it and get out. My hands were showing wear and tear and there were real plaayers all over the place. I might get back into if I find the right EUB. Ampeg Baby Bass would be nice.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby Chuck M » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:46 pm

Most of my gigs these days are on the upright. I really am an electric bassist but have been thought of as an upright guy for some time now. How do these rumors start?

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:28 am

It doesn't take long, Chuck. The same thing happened to me...been playing electric bass for almost 30 yrs, upright for maybe 5. All it took was for me to get a fairly visible gig with this bluegrass band with a TV commercial and a few CDs. Now I'm an "upright player". "Hack" is more like it.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Josh Curry » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 am

I kinda suck at URB, but my URB is Bad Ass, does that count?

NS Design EU6
Josh Curry

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:09 am

That'll cover the requirements here, Josh! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Welcome! That NS is schweeet! You a doubler (EUB and EB on the same gig), or do you have dedicated URB gigs?
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Josh Curry » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:13 am

I usually do one or the other. I'm not playing with anyone right now. But when I was it was either EB or URB. I would love to get into a project where I can use both.
Josh Curry

Postby ampig » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 am

EM-1 owner here. One of my bands is URB only. Been working at the upright for almost 3 years now. I'm competent enough to get the job done in my situation. No badass here either.
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Billhw13 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:32 am

Hey guys! Mike, Howard - how ya been?!

I fall into the Ex-Hack category. Had to sell the Eminence last year when I went thru a divorce...in fact - I sold
everything except an old P bass! And you know what? the only thing I REALLY miss is playing the URB. seriously.
One day...I'll be back!
Billhw13

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:05 am

Hey Bill! Glad you're here! You're not an "ex" anything...you're just resting!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:01 pm

Hey Bill! Welcome back to bottom end.
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Armybass » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:08 pm

Hey Bill and Josh....glad to have you guys. Long time no read Bill.

I was a bass major in college and had some great teachers. I played jazz and in orchestra for 5 years but was never a real URB players URB player. I was always an EB player who played URB. Well after nearly 10 years off, 2006 is changing that and now I am doing like 5 or 6 to 1 URB vs EB gigs. I just hooked up with another teacher and am probably playing more URB than I ever have in the past.

My fire for this instrument has been stoked and it is burning way hotter than ever before.
Armybass

Postby Billhw13 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:37 am

Thanks for the welcome, gents!

I'm getting real itchy to starting playing the DB again. I've been recovering from a pinched nerve in my neck, so I was able to do anything with my right arm for weeks...but it's coming back now. I'm working out at the gym lightly, and starting to think maybe I can tackle the DB soon. Of course, I'll have to FIND one...but I'm sure you gaseous fuggers will have plenty of suggestions on where and what to get!
Billhw13

Next

Return to UPRIGHT