Does anyone play the Cello?

Re: Does anyone play the Cello?

Postby hippiesandwich » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am

I took delivery of a NS bass cello yesterday, so I'll keep you posted. Up until last night, I'd never bowed anything in my life besides Christmas packages [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]. So far the bowed tones I've under-achieved have ranged from kinda cool to downright screechy. I'll say this for the bass cello though, it is an AMAZING instrument - I'm blown away by it so far and I'm only scratching the surface (sometimes literally [smilie=icon_mad.gif] ). One of the best features of the NS bass cello is that it has a 34' scale and can be tuned in 4ths, just like a bass - mine is EADGC.
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby ghiadub » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:10 pm

It is well worth it to take some bow lessons. I play some violin well er um... Fiddle since it is bluegrass. Bowing is a lot harder than fingering to this dude.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby fdmundo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Playing with a bow is a real skill to be mastered, and -- like many things -- practice is the only way. I started on cello when I was about 8 years old, and got pretty good with it by the time I switched to bass in high school. I've spent so long playing mainly electric, and pizz-only when I do play upright, that my bow skills are pretty bad. Milt Hinton was pretty good with a bow and claimed he got more work because of it. Slam Stewart and Major Holley did that singing+bowing solo thing that was pretty cool. A current bow master that I really dig is Renaud Garcia-Fons.

My daughter became (without my help or influence) an incredibly good cellist, with great bow control and a beautiful tone.

- steve
========================================================
Fin de Mundo Music Website: http://www.fin-de-mundo.com
The Fretful Bassist Blog: http://stevepinkston.blogspot.com/
========================================================
fdmundo

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:33 pm

I've recently become entranced by the cello after seeing Murder by Death's sexy cellist while they opened for Clutch at the Roseland in PDX. WOW what a performance. She had some sort of electric cello; very cool. I am a lefty and do not plan to play cello in any sort of classical orchestral format, so I am probably going to something like the NS cello bass at some point in the future.
Azrael

Links: http://www.myspace.com/godsandkings - band

bass - '98-'99 Carvin LB70 (lefty)
rig - BBE Bmax-T pre / QSC PLX1602 power /
two Aguilar GS112s, one Avatar B210 delta

Return to UPRIGHT