Ply or Hybrid?

Re: Ply or Hybrid?

Postby Chef » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 am

I *really* don't think you'll get anything that will serve you well for under ~$1600.
A decent plywood bass, with an attentive setup to include nut, bridge, fingerboard, soundpost...strings to suit you, adjustable bridge (helps with the big climate swings you speak of) is just gonna cost that much. Then, you're gonna need a decent bag to carry it in. The Bobelock is a screaming deal at about
$200. If you want a stand instead of setting it on the ground, the Meisel is a real nice one, and another $75.
Really, you're gonna spend dang near $2000 to get what you want, and what you need to go with it.

"Cheaping out" is only gonna cheapen your experience, and land you with an instrument you won't enjoy, and won't do the job you want it to.
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby Krispy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:20 am

I thought I'd come back to this thread and update it. I took all your comments for face value and all of it's good...especially those with regard to "cheaping out". I'll explain: I've looked at and played a fair amount of basses over the past couple of months and what I've learned is this: This is undoubtedly a "get what you pay for" market and like my father always told me - "there's no such thing as a good deal."

A few weeks ago, I took a 175 mile drive to the Upton facility and had a look around. I think that's where I'm spending my coin. I was impressed with the entry-level full poplar ply. Not a bad deal for an American-made bass with some impressive craftsmanship. With a couple of upgrades, about 2K out the door, 12-15 week build time. Lots of good things being said about them on the "other" forum and close enough for me when it needs a heath check. Heck, Arnold Schnitzer is 15 minutes away from me but I can't justify a New Standard Cleveland (even though it's a beautiful bass).

Onward and upright I go.
Junior Boy Black & Washed-Up
Krispy

Postby Mike Childree » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:14 am

Sounds like a good plan...I've heard lots of kudos about the Upton basses.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Uberjam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Uprights are so great. One of my basses is a crappy apoxyied student model. I spent a lot of money getting it set up and improved upon only to need a really good bass now. I play for the army and I had the great fortune to be allowed to purchase a new upright bass for the army band I'm in. I spoke to a lot of people. I knew I wanted a fully carved large bass with plenty of tone and plenty of punch. I spoke with Dr. Craig Wensell, an awesome bassist and the former bass instructor at Columbus State University. He pointed me toward Lemur music. http://www.lemurmusic.com I ended up ordering a bass made by enamual wilfer through the lemurmusic supplier. I wasn't sure about just taking people's word for it. But eight months later when the bass came I was so happy. It sounds so good and was well worth the wait. In one month I'll be purchasing one myself and it'll be my main axe for the rest of my life. It's going to set me back about 12G's. Anyway, It was good for me to have my crappy while I was in school and all that, but if you're serious about playing upright and you know you're not going to have a change of heart or anything I wouldn't waste my time with anything that cost less than $2,000. And please, get the david gage full circle pick up put on the bass before it ever gets to you. It's the best pick up I've ever played. It's a great sound. You'll still want to have a good DI box probably, unless you have a great amp like a EA or Behringer or something like that. But that pick up has never let me down. Even last night I ended up at an open mic night plugged into an ampeg infront of a 8x10 cab, with no problem, no feed back, nothing. Even the sound guy mentioned it being a good pick up.

Mike, I met the guys from the eastwind band last night. A tune of theirs is being put on a compilation album with artists in the tricity area. I play upright for a singer songwriter that is also contributing to the album. They are nice fellas.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Postby ampig » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:15 am

I'll add my two cents. Also talk to Bob Gollihur Gollihur Music. He's a real "standup guy". Give him a call and chat. He's done well by me on many occassions.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby thesandman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:13 am

I bought my bass from Bob, and am very pleased with it.
thesandman

Postby Rob Francis » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 pm

[quote="Mike Childree"]I don't normally point people to other forums, but the TB Double Bass forum is slam full of great info and the basic questions have been asked so many times...and answered. Worth a look.

Great reference site I had the same sort of questions. . . here's a direct link to the Newbie page

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093
Rob Francis

Postby Freddels » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:37 pm

I'd spend my $$ at Upton or with Arnold Schnitzer. Arnold is also a Shen dealer so you don't have to spend the big bucks on the New Standards with him. But either place will treat you well.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Return to UPRIGHT