Bow tension

Re: Bow tension

Postby Chef » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:53 am

It's been my experience that this is very, very personal, and varies a lot by user, technique, instument, strings, rosin, bow, hair....
Probably not a lot of help, but there ya go.
Columbia, Missouri.
Cookin in the basement since the early 70's...
Bassist for The Fried Crawdaddies, Shea and Silver Streak, Ironweed Bluegrass Band
Staff Reviewer: BassGearMagazine
Chef

Postby Freddels » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:08 pm

Just tight enough so that the hair doesn't touch the stick (or just a little bit tighter if you prefer it but not much). Always loosen it afer you're done playing.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Postby Uberjam » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:06 pm

The best thing you can do is to work with the bow until you find something you like. I use two kinds of rosin, pop's and jade. Pop's is a great all the time rosin. It's really thick and grabs the strings really well. It gets kind of chippy in cold weather though. I use the jade for strictly orchestral purposes. It's kind of thin and you have to take some time to get enough on your bow. But it won't get chippy in cold weather and it won't leave as much of a mess on your bass when you're done. As far as bow tension it should be a little flexible but if you can't get the hair to grip the strings right away then it might be too tight or too loose. Just experiment.

Oh yeah, and if you haven't tried a german style bow, try one. A lot more power and control. Plus if you need to hold the germam bow like a french bow for some fast spicatto or something, you can. But you can't hold a french bow like a german one...
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Postby Freddels » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:31 am

Uberjam wrote:Oh yeah, and if you haven't tried a german style bow, try one. A lot more power and control. Plus if you need to hold the germam bow like a french bow for some fast spicatto or something, you can. But you can't hold a french bow like a german one...

I do. Sometimes I like to hold my french bow underhanded. My hand is relaxed and it's comfortable, although it would definitely be frowned upon by the pros, it works for me. One of these days I'll pick up a German bow.
|| Aguilar Tonehammer 500, Ampeg 7 Pro, Markbass CMD102P, GK 800RB||
Freddels

Return to UPRIGHT