I've Friggin Had It

Re: I've Friggin Had It

Postby hippiesandwich » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Will do! [smilie=grinning-smiley-003.gif]
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:45 pm

I just can't get sold on EUB thing.
The bassist for Old School Freight Train, a big regional jazz grass band around these parts, played one the last time I saw them and it just didn't sound right to me. Not that I'd never own or play one, but I don't think an EUB could replace my big wooden mama.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby Golem » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 am

ampig wrote:I just can't get sold on EUB thing. ......... it just didn't sound right to me. Not that I'd never own or play one, but I don't think an EUB could replace my big wooden mama.
`

Of course it can't replace a dog house. Nor can it replace any of my FL electrics. An EUB is yet a third family of bass. And as with FL electric bass guitars, there's a huge range of designs: stick bodies, plank bodies, hollow bodies, URB necks, slim necks, piezo, mag PU's etc. Some are more like a guitar on a stick, and some are more like an URB with the box pared down, and most are somewhere in between.

I'm on my second one, switched over from stick to a more hefty, slightly chambered body. I like EUB's for what they are, so I don't tend to fault them for what they are not. Just like I don't fault my Godin A4 for not being a StingRay. I'd say the one thing that all EUB's have in common is the most important aspect of EUB's overall. That would be that they are played upright. We don't play the same styles on 41" strings standing next to us as we play on 34" strings strapped across us.

You could search around and find an EBG and and EUB that happen to be adjustable to similar voicing and tone, but the difference in playing style will still set them apart. Not that you'd really ever want to seek out an EUB voiced like an EBG. Why bother. I was just trying to emphasise that the difference in playing style is no small thing.

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby DigthemLows » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Oh, I can chime in on this thread! Late of course!..............I love my GK through a Schroeder 2x12, but I also really like my bass through my wifes Peavey 60 watt keyboard amp with a single 15........it's light, it was 100 bucks used and it's powerful as hell! I just run the fishman straight to the amp........either one of the amps gets the bass turned up, treble down, and mids down a tad...............and it's upright tone all the way. Peavey is underrated! I actually like playing my electric through that 60 watter! It cuts as much as any of the many many amps I've used...........
"Remember; we are not defined by our jobs, our jobs are defined by us" -Kennan Shaw
"I meant what I said, I said what I meant, an elephants faithful 100%" -Horton
http://www.myspace.com/sactoemusic
http://www.starsandgarters.net
DigthemLows
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Gents, I came to a realization on a St. Patrick's Day gig....I'm not diggin' playing URB right now. It's been the vast majority of my playing since around 2000, and I'm just kinda sick of it. You guys have at it! I have a nagging right shoulder injury that just makes it hurt too much, as well. Hope that isn't going to require rotator cuff surgery.

...even been thinking about putting mine up for sale. [smilie=smilie_kopf.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Dang Mike. I don't know what to say. Change can be good. I can definitely relate to the pain thing too. I've been having issues with my left hand lately. I assume you've still got a bass guitar gig going...................
Howard

ampig

Postby Mike Childree » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:20 am

Yeah, Howard, I have a couple of things going on still. You know what really put a kibosh on my upright jones? I bought a Rob Allen, and that stupendously fabulous thang works for everything I'm doing at the moment. No, it doesn't sound like an upright, but on a live gig, where you have to play amplified anyway....it sounds better. Weighs about 6 lbs, and is super-easy to carry and play all night. I just love the damn thing. I'm not playing with any real purists right now (I always kind of imposed my own purism on myself anyway), so the RA is a no-brainer. There's really no reason for me to wrestle with that big huge bastige, and play at 50% of my ability all night any longer.

Plus, I can carry my RA on my Harley...that's VERY important. [smilie=grinning-smiley-044.gif]
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:15 am

I'm glad to hear you're still playing and have found something to keep you happy.
Howard

ampig

Postby Jefenator » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 am

I'm hopping in kind of late - I just joined. [smilie=cool-smiley-027.gif]

I'm not a big fan of using EQ to try and get something that doesn't work to work (never had much luck with that approach). I stumbled on a combination of pickups with a mixer/buffer that sounds great no matter what I plug it in to. (G/K MB150, Mackie Powered Speaker, various house PAs & mixers. I never ever use the EQ knobs on the G/K and the powered speaker doesn't even have 'em! [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif] )

I have an old Kay and run a David Gage Realist through a Biesele magnetic pickup. The latter features an input for the piezo pickup and you can blend the two signals. For quieter occasions, I go 100% piezo. As the dBs increase and the need for cutting power gets greater, I dial in more magnetic. 50/50 (center detent) is very potent.

You may have to experiment to find the best piezo pickup for your bass. The magnetic unit does tend to make the bass sound like a fretless P-bass (on steroids!!!) but it's a definite solution to a problem. If you can justify it, the Biesele with the onboard mixer & master volume is tremendously convenient. But there are other options.

My main point is, the right combination of bass/pickup/preamp will make all the difference. I've spent years wrestling with the wrong combination, so I share your pain. Good luck & I hope you come into upright nirvana soon.
The guitarists & drummers get all the students - we get all the gigs.
Jefenator

Postby ampig » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the input bro'. My live tone is progressing.............
Howard

ampig

Previous

Return to UPRIGHT