I've Friggin Had It

Re: I've Friggin Had It

Postby GLJeff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:34 am

noahvale wrote:
G&L_Jeff wrote:Have you checked out the Ned Steinberger designed Cello Basses? You can use standard bass strings or strings for a bow. They're also available in 5 string. I have serious GAS for one but not the funds. Oh it's the amp you want to trade![/img]

You know I gassed for years over the euro model 5 here at http://www.theperfectbass.com. Then I got an Ergo5. Since I've had it a while I've gone back and checked out the NS basses, including the cello bass. I like the Ergo way better. It sounds amazing. It has become the sound in my head, and I rarely ever play electric bass any more. The bass that the guy in TLE is using is I believe a King bass. It's designed to be amplified. And to be stepped on! They are really heavily braced and I've heard they don't really sound that good acoustically.

Those Ergo's are very affordable, I'll have to check them out.
GLJeff

Postby Golem » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:02 am

oogie boogie wrote: ........ Here are a couple things that may help: a fatty crutch tip on the pin so that you decouple with the floor, and some felt (or believe it or not, socks) in the sound holes. It sounds strange, but these things can make a difference. ......
`

And a piece of heavy yarn, fuzzy velcro, or other damping fuzz under the strings jammed up against the nut. Gotta x-spearmint to find your personal fave degree of damping. I happen to use ponytail scruntchies, which come in many different guages in a variety pack :-)

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby ampig » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:41 am

Thanks for the all the input guys. A big part of my problem is that I'm also running the sound board too. With 4 acoustic instruments and 4 vocals that's a chore in itself. What I'm wanting is great simple amp with bass, mid treble controls and a basic parametric EQ with sliders.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Postby oogie boogie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm

ampig wrote:Thanks for the all the input guys. A big part of my problem is that I'm also running the sound board too. With 4 acoustic instruments and 4 vocals that's a chore in itself.

Why not let somebody get a snake and let somebody in the house handle that part?

ampig wrote:What I'm wanting is great simple amp with bass, mid treble controls and a basic parametric EQ with sliders.

Hmmm... sounds like an SWR SM-400s to me.
oogie boogie

Postby GLJeff » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm

I think Peavey amps are under rated. I got a Mk VI series head at a yard sale for $35. Through my Peavey 8X10 cab that I've had for a long time it sounds sweet. They're basic but have decent features like EQ shelving, companded chorus, compression, bright button, punch button, crossover, 9 band EQ and 400 watts. They can be found cheap. They have everything you need to cut through the mix.
I don't use this rig much but I'm definitely holding on to it.
GLJeff

Postby ampig » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:26 am

Why not let somebody get a snake and let somebody in the house handle that part?

I don't know about your situation, but my acoustic group is making marginal money and there's no funding for a soundman. If there was, it'd already be happening.

Has anybody tried an Ampeg B2R with their URB?
Howard

ampig

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:50 am

I've played through a B2R several times, and was really underwhelmed. I haven't heard any Ampeg product that seemed properly voiced for upright. Any gig that a B2R will cut can be done with an SWR WM12, which is by far a better URB amp, in my opinion. The problem you run into is that URB sounds better (more natural) through small amps and cabs. That negates a lot of amps that would be usually used for electric bass. They can be used, but not with the best results.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Tornadobass » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 am

Mike Childree wrote:Any gig that a B2R will cut can be done with an SWR WM12, which is by far a better URB amp, in my opinion. The problem you run into is that URB sounds better (more natural) through small amps and cabs. That negates a lot of amps that would be usually used for electric bass. They can be used, but not with the best results.

Any magic formula for the WM12? I use mine occasionally for EUB or URB and it always seems a bit on the bright/brittle side. Using a programmable SansAmp straight through the effects return made it sound a lot warmer, but I'd like to be able to skip any extra pedals.

The programmable SansAmp is also handy for switching between pizz and arco...with just a tap of the foot, the level and tone can be shifted to do best for either.
Tornadobass

Postby Golem » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 am

Mike Childree wrote:...... The problem you run into is that URB sounds better (more natural) through small amps and cabs. That negates a lot of amps that would be usually used for electric bass. They can be used, but not with the best results.
`
+1

Tother nite I commented to a friend that he had a big "electric" sound, rather uncommon to the small jazz room he was playing. I couldn't actualy see his rig behind the piano and other stuff, but he said he brought a 4x10 that was certainly not his usual for such gigs. Kinda weird to lug a big cab and a big ax, when for the sound he was getting he could used a Fender bass and a 12" combo. Of course, that ignores appearances and the prejudices of management and patrons :-/

`

New basses are red. Used basses are black.
- - ---- -- - --- - - - --- - ---- -- - - --- - -- - -

In a perfect world
At the end of the day
Tomorrow never comes.
Golem

Postby Chuck M » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

I've tried a lot of things to get my amplified upright tone as much as possible as the acoustic tone. Here are a few of the things I've learned.

You have to use a really good preamp between the piezo pickups and the amp. I've had pretty good luck with the older Fishman Model B preamp but recently have been having much better results with the discontinued Tech 21 Acoustic DI. It has a very high input impedance and the bass sounds great and any problems are easily fixed with the generous EQ section.

The amp is the key to great tone. It must be very hi fi and still have enough power for those low notes. I use SWR gear most of the time with upright bass. I use a little Workingman's 12 for quiet gigs and a Super Redhead for loud gigs. I also have a Goliath III, jr 210 cabinet and a Bass 350 head which is pretty much the same as the Super Redhead but is easier to move since it is in two pieces.

I own a lot of Eden gear as well and do sometimes use my WT550 for upright. It works fine but I really prefer the Bass 350 head as it has a transparency that is not in the Eden heads. The Eden heads are warmer sounding and do color the tone more than I like for URB.

Chuck
Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind---listen to the birds. And
don't hate nobody.

Eubie Blake
Chuck M
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:53 am

I also use the Sansamp Acoustic DI....it's worked great for me, with a variety of different pickups.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby ampig » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:15 am

The Eden heads are warmer sounding and do color the tone more than I like for URB.

That's funny, because I find the WT400 to be way to sterile for my tastes (at least with electric basses) but then again I'm an Ampeg kind of guy.
Howard

ampig

Postby nolabass » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am

I used and have seen used a simple... humble Peavey TNT amp. It's not unusual to see a URB player using and older Peavey for some reason. It's not the best tone but it functions in a lot of situations it seems.
~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Everything Is Oaks & Herbs, My Nerbs" Dr. John
nolabass
Global Bouncer

Postby hippiesandwich » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm

GLJeff wrote:Have you checked out the Ned Steinberger designed Cello Basses? You can use standard bass strings or strings for a bow. They're also available in 5 string. I have serious GAS for one but not the funds. Oh it's the amp you want to trade!

I got to check these out at NAMM and have been fascinated ever since. I finally found one used at a decent price over the weekend so it is on it's way. I'm very excited! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Looser is the opposite of tighter, not winner.
hippiesandwich
Bouncer

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Cool deal, Lowell....that's a whole new sickness starting! Let us know how it works out.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to UPRIGHT