Swinging with the Big Girl

Swinging with the Big Girl

Postby thesandman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:23 am

I'm not a Badass.

I'm not even an URB player.

I'm a guy with an Upright. I bought an Englehardt from Bob Gollihur. Strung it with Dominants. Taking lessons from a real URB teacher.

Very shortly. the E string died, had to quit taking lessons, had to learn a bunch of new songs for my new band, so the Upright got put aside.
I decided to give it another go, got a set of Spirocores, hopefully they'll last longer. Got them on this week. Yesterday, one of my kids came over with his acoustic, and we started jamming, a bunch of Jack Johnson (that I didn't know) and some songs he wrote. He even had me bow on a couple of songs.

WOW!!
I love it.The strings made a huge difference, and to be able to play with someone other than Jamey Aebersold was really cool. Not Knocking Jamey,
SO, I guess the point of this mumbo jumbo is, URB is a wonderful instrument, if your thinking about it, jump in, and I like Spirocores. What a huge difference in sound. Huge. I hope they last awhile.
thesandman

Re: Swinging with the Big Girl

Postby Mike Childree » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:15 am

thesandman wrote:I'm not a Badass. I'm not even an URB player. I'm a guy with an Upright...

Hey, I'm a charter member of THAT club, Brother! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I agree with your whole experience. The thing is just a blast, whether or not you're "proficient" at it or just getting started. Good to see you're getting that "live" experience too...nothing sounds like a URB within a good swinging group, huh?

Make sure and keep us posted with whatcha got happening!
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Return to UPRIGHT