Compressor?

Compressor?

Postby ampig » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 am

My band is doing some homemade recordings. We're running 2 signals for the bass - a mic and line from my preamp. I'm wanting to run the line signal through a compressor. I don't want to spend much money and will probably try to get something used. Looking for recommendations on a stomp box or rack mount unit.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Re: Compressor?

Postby GLJeff » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:02 am

I use this Alesis all the time, great quality for an affordable compressor/gate. I like the dual channel mode that lets me have two outputs to split my signal to two amps. It can be used as a simple compressor as well, that gives you full control over the signal unlike some of the floor pedal models.

http://www.alesis.com/3630
GLJeff

Postby Uberjam » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:00 pm

DO NOT by the ibanez brand compressor pedal. It is a waste. Now I have a rake mount bellari dual channel tube compressor. It's way better. But probably a little more than I need... Plus it takes up two rake spaces. I was always pleases with my zoom multi effects pedal. The compressor was fine and easy to use. Some of the other effects like the synth weren't that great, but the reverb and compression were good for everyday use.
Only sick music makes money today.
-Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
Uberjam

Links: Basses:
Marcus Miller signature Fender Jazz V
American Standard Fender Jazz IV
3/4 kay style upright

Gear:
Genz Benz 750 head
Genz Benz 6x10 cab
Tech 21 Sans Amp RBI preamp
TC Electronic C400XL Dual channel compressor

Extra toys:
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Boss overdrive
Digi-tech sub octave synth
Boss loop station
Boss super octave
Boss bass chorus
Boss bass synth
Boss flanger

Recording gear:
Macbook
Ableton live 8
Korg Pandora's box PX5D
Boss DR3 Drum Machine

Postby GLJeff » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:22 pm

I have a Zoom multi effects pedal with compression, the bypass doesn't fully shut off whatever effect you were using. Something always leaks through. I hear the T-Rex is a good floor pedal, DBX have some great rack mount units.
GLJeff

Postby ampig » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 am

Jeff,
I picked up an Alesis 3630 off Ebay. It looks to be a bit more complex than what I need. Once it arrives, I may hit you up for the down and dirty on putting it to use.
After I hit the buy button I ran across the Alesis NanoCompressor which looks like it would have suited me better.
Howard

ampig

Postby GLJeff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am

If you want a simple compressor the 3630 will suit you well, it looks more complicated than it is. You'll only need to use one side of it for now. If the manual doesn't tell you what you want to know drop me a PM. The only knobs I have to mess with on occasion are the threshhold and output. The site has downloadable manuals so you can start reading about it before it arrives.
GLJeff

Postby ampig » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks Jeff.

BTW -I stopped by you Band's MySpace page last night. I dig the music. Great stuff
Howard

ampig

Postby GLJeff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm

ampig wrote:Thanks Jeff.

BTW -I stopped by you Band's MySpace page last night. I dig the music. Great stuff

Thanks, we don't put as much time into the recordings as we should but it gives people an idea of what we do. We're better live :)
GLJeff

Return to UPRIGHT