Getting a New Fingerboard

Getting a New Fingerboard

Postby ampig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 am

Took my Engelhardt EM-1 into the shop to get the fingerboard planed. The repairman said that the original board wasn't rosewood and should be replaced unless I wanted to have continuing problems. So I'm in for a new $350 ebony fingerboard.
Howard

"That's no surprise, kids are too cool for tort" - aussiemark
ampig

Links: http://myspace.com/delvers

Re: Getting a New Fingerboard

Postby kylierider » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:55 am

I think the EM1 should have either a rosewood or cherry fingerboard. Either way, IMO, if it is the first time it's being plained it really should not matter what kind of wood it is. In less the grooves are REALLY deep he should be able to get them out no matter what type of wood. Rosewood or cherry will wear quicker than ebony, expecially with the strings I know you have on there. Maybe it might need plaining every couple of years, no biggy. You should see how thin my fingerboard is. Have it plained a few times then replace it, but I would not do it until the board is worn out. Just my 2 cents
Last edited by kylierider on Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylierider

Postby kylierider » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:02 am

BTW URBbob has exact fit ebony fingerboards for about 79.00. The ones Engel puts on their basses. You could have your luthier remove the old one and replace it yourself. I don't know how handy you are but I put one on myself. It's really not that difficult once you get the hide glue thing figured out.
kylierider

Postby ampig » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm already into it now. The shop has ordered the board. This guy was recommended as the schiznit by some other local cats. We'll see.............
Howard

ampig

Postby ampig » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 am

Got the bass back yesterday. New ebony fingerboard, bridge modifications and upgraded endpin. The soundpost was also relocated for enhanced tone. The total cost was $450. It was worth every penny. It's like having a brand new and much more expensive bass. They told me to bring it back every 2 weeks for the next month so thay can make adjustments as things settle into place. Plus I get free lifetime adjustments from here on.
Howard

ampig

Postby kylierider » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 am

Sounds like a good deal, and you can't beat free adjustments. Glad it worked out for you.
kylierider

Return to UPRIGHT