What's your upright rig?

What's your upright rig?

Postby Eric B » Tue May 20, 2008 1:07 pm

As I mentioned in another thread I'm new to the upright bass... been hearing "more is less" when it comes to amplifying upright.

Now I'm using a Bassmax pickup into a Fishman Pro Platinum EQ/DI/Preamp into a Sunn 200S into an Avatar 2x10. It's just not cutting it, although it's almost there when I use the Sunn 2x15... but an upright and a sunn 2x15 cab is quite a load to carry to gigs.

What are you guys using?

I really thought going to upright would simplify things, but the opposite is true!

Now I truly realize what a great blessing the Pbass must have been at the time when they came out.
Eric B

Re: What's your upright rig?

Postby ghiadub » Tue May 20, 2008 1:51 pm

K&K Bridge/neck PU into a K&K two band mixer (the Bass Master RB PLUS) going into my GK 200MB. The GK has enough on the preamp to get decent volume.

I bought the upright to play Bluegrass acoustically so not a lot of thought or money has went into my rig.

I use the amp and pickup for the rare acoustic blues gig.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby Freddels » Tue May 20, 2008 3:40 pm

NS Cleveland hybrid > Full Circle > iAmp500 > Wizzy 12 or Wizzy 10 or Epi UL110.
Freddels

Postby Mike Childree » Wed May 21, 2008 5:14 am

NS Cleveland ply-->Revolution Solo-->EBS Microbass II-->PA or
NS Cleveland ply-->Revolution Solo-->EA iAmp 800-->one or two EA Wizzy 1x12

What kind of music are you playing that requires a 2x15? Is it that you like the tone, or you need the volume? If volume is what you're after, then maybe you'd really be better off with an electric bass (unless it REALLY requires an URB, like a rockabilly thang). At high vols, you really need your rig optimized for feedback rejection...and that's gonna make your bass sound like poo acoustically.

The general concensus among URB players is that smaller amp rigs are going to give you a more natural tone. It's held true for me.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Eric B » Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am

Hi Mike,

Perhaps you are right, but again I haven't messed much with the settings and EQ. I think some of it is perception, too. My guitarist is used to feeling the solid Pbass punch coming thru the SVT/8x10 I normally play, and while the upright thru the 2x10 is putting out some volume it's not what I'd call punchy. With other bands playing next door in the rehearsal space the bass really gets lost in our room, and that's never been a problem before.
Eric B

Postby Mike Childree » Wed May 21, 2008 9:40 am

I know 'zactly what you mean.

What you're experiencing is the reduced mids on the URB...I've had that problem many times myself, especially related to the perception of other players who are accustomed to hearing electric bass. It's hard to overcome, too. I've done gigs where the lows off my URB were just about to knock the building off the foundations, yet I had comments from guys onstage with me about not hearing the bass well. They're missing that midrange. You can add that to a URB with eq, but it makes the bass sound honky and accentuates that "thonky" finger sound.
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby Eric B » Wed May 21, 2008 10:12 am

I'm shocked, (and frankly, quite jealous) that single 10's or 12's work so well for so many upright players.
Eric B

Postby Mike Childree » Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am

Eric B wrote:I'm shocked, (and frankly, quite jealous) that single 10's or 12's work so well for so many upright players.

I'll be the first to admit that it's not an optimal situation, though. It just sounds more like the bass. It seems to me that the people who REALLY are URB Tone Nazis just stick to music that they can play at a low enough volume that small amps work okay. I started gigging on upright about 2000, and I bet I've not done 5 gigs with a drummer or with electric instruments.

Most of the guys who really want to gig URB at higher volumes usually end up with really specialized setups, like King basses (the new ones, not the old ones).
Mike Childree
Bouncer

Postby DigthemLows » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:57 pm

My 59 Kay straight into a GK1001 RBII and a shroeder 212 with a cheapy fishman pickup works fine for every thing I've thrown at it.....outdoor, indoor, long skinny bar, big open room.......seems to work really well! If I need to go loud I just turn the treble all the way off, the bass at 3 O'clock and everything else flat and I can crank it .......
"Remember; we are not defined by our jobs, our jobs are defined by us" -Kennan Shaw
"I meant what I said, I said what I meant, an elephants faithful 100%" -Horton
http://www.myspace.com/sactoemusic
http://www.starsandgarters.net
DigthemLows
Bouncer

Postby Ben Esparza » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Although I'm new to the URB thing, I found what works for me:

No-Name 100+ German URB w/ Realist Pickup---->Raven Labs PHA-1 Preamp/Headphone amp (set flat)---->GK MBE Head (treble at 4, everything else flat)---->SWR Baby Blue Monitor

Sounds exactly the way the bass sounds acoustically...only louder.
"You can talk about virtuosity all you want, but what it comes down to is you're supposed to back up the other guys. They're not supposed to notice you until you stop."
- Keith Ferguson
Ben Esparza

Return to UPRIGHT