Anyone try the Pace Bass yet?

Anyone try the Pace Bass yet?

Postby GLJeff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:34 pm

They're affordable but look like a short scale for an URB, looks more like an upright fretless.

http://www.deanguitars.com/bnds_v1/pacebass_cb.htm
GLJeff

Re: Anyone try the Pace Bass yet?

Postby felig » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:43 pm

Ny guitarist currently has a 5 string one in his store & I also tried a 4 stringer when he had one in stock. Kind of fun & maybe someday I'll score a used one--I agree pretty much with your assessment as an upright fretless--not exactly, but more like that than an URB.
felig

Postby patman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:08 am

I use one--sound is o-k / It's pretty well suited for doubling in a rock band--very durable, etc. / tuner quality is pretty bad /

hear it at http://cincyrockers.com/

I used it for the two ballads Ooh Baby Baby / You've lLost That Lovin Feeling
patman

Postby noahvale » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:51 am

Tried one. Sounded ok. The main problem with them is that they are not true upright scale length. Trying to fret notes without using real upright hand position is hard. Believe it or not, a 42 inch scale upright is much easier to play. I bought an Ergo 5 instead. Not only is it easier to play and sounds better, it will hold it's resale value much better than the Dean.
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby ghiadub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:00 pm

I tried one of these a few years back. I was trying to find out what strings were on them from the factory as they were flats but seemed to have a coating on them that made them slippery. very easy to slide into the note if your fingering is not the best (like mine).

I want a set for my fretless elecric bass.
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby patman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:09 pm

I actually hated the stock strings--found that the only way I liked the sound was with high tension Fender flatwounds--any string that produces a lot of highs and/or Mwah just didn't sound "right". I tried TI jazz flats/ Standard roundwounds---Fender flats get a nice click/thunk for Rockabilly stuff and don't sound too brittle on the highs. They also have an almost uprightish tension to them. Pleasant and not overpowering Mwah.

I almost decided to sell mine, but the band told me that they like me to use it, so I will continue....
patman

Postby ghiadub » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:12 pm

Patman, any chance you still have those old stirngs?
"Play the music, not the instrument"

Ghiadub Trio | Makosa | Campfire Crooners | Videos
ghiadub
Bouncer

Postby patman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:00 pm

pretty sure they're gone, but I'll check
patman

Return to UPRIGHT