Gibson Les Paul Signature

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Gibson Les Paul Signature

Postby dukeplaysbass » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:23 am

OK, gents....I've started to plot my next move, another possible sell-off of my weird little collection in order to snag another vintage axe.

My main requirement is that the axe be somethign that I'd play out. I don't want a closet axe that I don't play because some aspect of it disagrees with my preferences.

For example, I was gawking the EB-2 on Good Guys. But I don't dig short scale basses that much, so nix on that. I love the look of the late 50's Precision, but they're wider than my hands really like. I tried a couple of Hofner basses (violin/McCarney style and a Club) but didn't like the ergonomics and tone.

Then it hit me......

What about the Les Paul Signature????

I had an Epi Casady at one point. Loved it, but stupidly sold it.

Is this a good sonic and/or performance reference point at all? If not, what would you compare it to?

Other than the usual Gibson issues (neck and headstock damage) is there anything I should be careful about? Any idea what the market is like for these in player grade?
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Re: Gibson Les Paul Signature

Postby noahvale » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:45 am

I had a '74 LPS and an Epi JC at the same time. They are very similar. Felt exactly the same. The LPS sounded a little smoother and warmer. Neither of those adjectives have anything to do with sound so IMHO, YMMV, and any other applicable acroyms apply.... [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

click pics for more
Image Image
noahvale
Bad Ass Admin

Links: http://ammons.org

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 am

Not to be blowing smoke out my own a** but, did you see the EB650 on my site. Honestly, this maybe the best sounding semi-hollow in the world. And yes, I take care of my homies... Dr Ben was totally BLOWN away by it. If he didnt have the bone for the Wal he bought, he woulda went home with the EB..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby dukeplaysbass » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 pm

I did see the 650, KeBo....but I don't know much about them and moved past it....

That looks like a pretty thick body -- sorta like a ES-175? What's the nut width?
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Postby felig » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:54 pm

Thanks for the side-by-side, Butch. I've got a JC, but don't recall seeing a Les Paul Sig. in the flesh. They sure do have a resemblance!
felig

Postby 69'Vette » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:11 pm

dukeplaysbass wrote:I did see the 650, KeBo....but I don't know much about them and moved past it....

That looks like a pretty thick body -- sorta like a ES-175? What's the nut width?

I have no experience with them, but Uwe owns one, along with an EB750. Maybe he could enlighten you as well?
69'Vette

Postby bejahu » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:30 am

That Blue Gibson was absolutely sweet, you ought to check it out if you are in the market for a fantastic hollow-bodied instrument. It is probably the best sounding hollow-body bass that I've ever played. The tone is really thick and growly: just fantastic. I had never seen one of these prior to my visit to Good Guys. I was mightily impressed. Given that I just plunked down several K for the Black Wal, I figured that the wife would KILL me if I double dipped. And, yes, Uncle Kebo, hooked me up on the Wal. Thanks Kev.

Ben
bejahu

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:19 am

The neck is about a B-neck Precision or an RD sorta neck. The body is about to es175 spec. Tone, holy smoke, think Old Tbird meets old Pbass..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Ze Unknown K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:39 am

The EB-650 is a great sounding all-maple solidbody bass. Interesting, how they made it to look exactly like a hollow body - it just doesn't sound like it at all. So if you're fine with a hollow body that doesn't sound like one, the EB-650 is nice. For me, its sound is too "take-no-prisoners"-direct, if I play a hollow body, I'm looking for something else than all-out attack. But Ihave to admit: When I first played it, I was blown away by its attack and aggressive authority. But that novelty effect wore off with me.

The LP Sig has much more of an acoustic note to it - you can actually feel it if you play EB-650 and LP Sig side by side. The LP Sig with its thinner body - yet almost devoid of any sustain block - is as loud as the much more thicker-bodied EB-650 (which has one hunk of a sustain block inside). You can also feel the notes "work" in the chambers of the LP Sig, where the EB-650 is kind of dead.

It's not my experience either that the Epi JC Sig sounds even remotely as nice as an LP Sig - the Epi is much thuddier and lacks that glistening, but never harsh presence the LP Sig has. The LP Sig is also much more responsive. I'd describe its sound like a good old P Bass, single coilish in nature though it is a humbucker, plus that acoustic halo. Also nice, prominent, but never overbearing mids. If you play a Ric 4005 and an LP Sig side by side, the Ric with its thin mids will need much more volume to be heard as well as the LP Sig and never fill the music as much.

Though I like the look of bothe the Ric 4005 and the EB-650 better, I have not yet come across a hollowbody bass (whether short or long scale) that sounds nearly as good as the LP Sig.

Uwe
Ze Unknown K

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:17 am

Uwe, The 650 is not a solid body bass. Its a centerblock semi-hollow exactly the same style construction as a ES 335
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Ze Unknown K » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:40 pm

I know, Kevin, I have one. And its big sister, the EB-750, plus the even bigger sister, the AB Super 400, which is thankfully without any sustain block and sounds a million bucks for it.

I was joking (hence the ironic "interesting how they made it look exactly like a hollowbody"). To my ears, the EB-650 sounds so solidbody it might just as well be. It is way too sharp and snappy for a hollowbody, I miss any goodnaturedness in its sound. I should have written: "The EB-650 sounds like and is tantamount to a great-sounding all maple solidbody bass."

The EB-650 has a voice of its own, but its not a hollowbody voice, while the LP Sig actually sounds like a hollowbody.

I'm no friend of sustain blocks in hollowbodies - to me its selfdefeating. I prefer a swinging top even if it invites feedback and is touchier in live situations, there are other basses you cam play in those situations. My best sounding hollowbodies are all without (sizeable) sustain blocks (Höfner, Framus, Rick 4005, LP Sig, Allen Woody). I sometimes have fantasies of tearing out those oversize sustain blocks out of my EB-650 and -750 and letting those instruments finally "breathe".

Uwe
Ze Unknown K

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am

Only reason I brought it up was because in the prior item you stated its a solid body.. Nice Gib/Epi collection..
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Bart! » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:15 am

I have a LPsig and I think it`s a good choice if you`re looking for a vintage axe that`s very useable. Not very versatile, but a P isn`t either. (Of course) it has had a broken headstock, but it`s fixed allright and performance is very nice. I`ve played mine live and (so far) had no problems with any feedback, even though it was loud, there alot of mics..
Last summer I had the chance of comparing the Lpsig side by side with Chrisp `s JC and Basvarken`s modded JC. The LPsig just had that extra warmth and richeness in sound that made it stand od out against it`s opposites which are really great basses too. Neck is not slim but very playable (I can`t stand the `50 Pbass necks either). I hardly ever see another LPsig for sale, so I really don`t know what these basses are going for. Anyone..?
The LPsig still doesn`t get played as much as my Precision though...
Bart!

Postby Tomato » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Hello I just joined this Forum and am trying to find out about this bass.
Can you point me?
/Users/johntomaselli/Desktop/2016-08-09 10.52.09 2.jpg
Tomato

Postby GonzoBass » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:30 am

You'll need to host the pic on line
and post the url for us to see the image.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass
Global Bouncer

Links: .
Tools:
Steinberger XP2 Workhorse (DB Bridge)
Steinberger XP2 (B-E-A-D)
Steinberger XP2A (Back Up)
Wilkat GonzoBass #001
Fender Deluxe 24 Fret Jazz
EBMM Stingray Natural/Maple