fender jazz bridge and pup covers....

Older is better here. If Kebo has to explain, you wouldn't understand.

fender jazz bridge and pup covers....

Postby dukeplaysbass » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:48 am

So, how do you tell the old ones from the new ones?

I mean, I see these on ebay from time to time for $10. Then one that's for a 71 Jazz for $150.

How do you know?
Father Gino wrote:...back when men were men and basses had four strings.

Check out my site...
dukeplaysbass
Wunkay Wuver

Re: fender jazz bridge and pup covers....

Postby steveonbass » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:31 am

Good question Tris!

I'd also like to learn to decode covers

core metal? plating? weight? hole size? bevel? in-house or outsourced?

Kev? Links? Anyone?
peace
-steve
myspace
steveonbass
Bouncer

Postby hmagman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 am

Don't know if it's common to all old covers, but my '65 Jazz original cover has a piece of rubber glued on the underside to help mute the strings. Not sure when Fender stopped installing these rubber mutes.

Kevin should have a better guess...
Harry
hmagman

Postby doc540 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am

Wish I could find the bridge cover off my '69. My wife of 8 years says she's seen it around somewhere.

I removed it in the early '70's and used it as an ash and roach tray.
Onward Thru the Fog
http://www.lavadaddys.com
doc540

Postby felig » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:38 am

hmagman wrote:Don't know if it's common to all old covers, but my '65 Jazz original cover has a piece of rubber glued on the underside to help mute the strings. Not sure when Fender stopped installing these rubber mutes.

Kevin should have a better guess...

I'm not sure when they stopped gluing in the mute pad, they probably did that through the 60s, but I have no basis for that. They now ship a strip of the rubber as part of the case candy, so it's easy enough for the buyer to install on a new cover. There's got to be an ashtray graveyard out there somewhere.
felig

Postby Kevin Probass Borden » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:09 am

Heres the secret... The foam was used from 63 thru the 80s. It has nothing to do with it. Heres how to tell..

A) The mounthing screw holes
B) The underside finish

Unless you have them all side by side, its impossible to tell them apart. ANyone who can tell you a cover is different from a 66 thru a 71/72, is lying to you. Bottom line they are SO CLOSE with age and patina its nearly impossible UNLESS they know the bass they came off of. ALSO they produced a zillion at a time so theres a ton of overlap. Before mid 66, you can come fairly close but theres overlap due to volume produced.
Kevin Probass Borden

Postby Caca de Kick » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:58 pm

I have three Jazz basses: 69, 84, 97. I carefully studied the (original USA made Fender) bridge covers from all of them, and concluded the stamping die marks and streaks etched into the metal from the stamping process was exactly the same on all three. That tells me Fender has been using the same machine/dies the whole time. However, the 'F' imprint was sharper on the 69 cover, and less sharp on the 97.
Now, we know 60-63 J's used pan head screws, so the mounting hole would be smaller and there would be no countersink to the hole either, so those are a given. But really, the old chroming process would make chrome plating have a blueish hue to it, while modern plating has a yellowish hue to it. (If you're into old car restorations, then you can see the chrome differences there too)

So to me it takes a real eagle eye to pick out the differences, and it would be pretty hard to judge on a computer screen that you're really looking at real 60's-70's pieces. It would probably be best to inspect things like this with a local seller rather than the ebay gamble.
Caca de Kick

Postby felig » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:51 am

Please send me your '69 Jazz in order that I can verify your statements--be prepared, though, it will probably take me several years to complete the testing process.
felig

Postby Caca de Kick » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:48 pm

felig wrote:Please send me your '69 Jazz in order that I can verify your statements--be prepared, though, it will probably take me several years to complete the testing process.

Hmmmm.... Only if I get to hold onto the 2eq fretless Dargie as collateral. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]
Caca de Kick

Postby felig » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 am

Caca de Kick wrote:
felig wrote:Please send me your '69 Jazz in order that I can verify your statements--be prepared, though, it will probably take me several years to complete the testing process.

Hmmmm.... Only if I get to hold onto the 2eq fretless Dargie as collateral. [smilie=cheeky-smiley-025.gif]

Okay--now we're talkin'.
felig

Return to VINTAGE